Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chrome OS coming out on Dec 7th Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Seems that Chrome OS will be coming out on Tuesday...or at least Google is making some 'big' announcement regarding it.

http://chromeossite.com/2010/12/04/c...-december-7th/

How many of you have been witing for Chrome OS for the last year? It seems like Chrome OS net books will be perfect for students. I will be getting one of these devices deffo

ReputationRep:
    im not too sure about it, it's merely internet based i think, we'll see

ReputationRep:
    looks good !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSadReaper)
    im not too sure about it, it's merely internet based i think, we'll see
    But That's the good part about it. Cloud computing will mean faster, cheaper, more or less virus free Netbooks. At least that's according to Google. Hopefully they will spill all the beans with this announcement :-)

ReputationRep:
    better coverage

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/03/c...-december-7th/

and Google Chrome OS netbook keyboard :sexface:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/03/i...ooks-keyboard/

ReputationRep:
    We aren't ready for an OS based on the cloud yet. Internet speeds are still too slow, and mobile broadband is still too unreliable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    We aren't ready for an OS based on the cloud yet. Internet speeds are still too slow, and mobile broadband is still too unreliable.
    A very bold statement. Internet speeds are too slow....for what?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure I'd want to get this given google's track record on privacy. I'm sure many people on here remember when a mistake at google resulted in search histories for thousands being made available on the internet. Who wants to trust them with a whole OS?

Bear in mind that the UK has slow speeds by international standards however...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    A very bold statement. Internet speeds are too slow....for what?
    Too slow for relying on the cloud.
    I seriously doubt 0.5Mbps is a good enough speed to keep everything on the cloud. And a lot of people can't even get that.
    Also, what if your internet connection dies? Happens a fair bit in some places (due to BT not being arsed to actually fix things).
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

(Original post by RyanT)
    Who wants to trust them with a whole OS?
    Presumably the millions of users who trust them with their emails (Google Mail), files (Google Docs), meetings a.k.a. perfect stalking material (Google Calendar), health records (Google Health), memories (Picasa)... The list goes on. Sure it's not for everyone, but I reckon they can handle and be trusted with an OS by now.

ReputationRep:
    Too slow for relying on the cloud.
    I seriously doubt 0.5Mbps is a good enough speed to keep everything on the cloud. And a lot of people can't even get that.
    Also, what if your internet connection dies? Happens a fair bit in some places (due to BT not being arsed to actually fix things).
    Let's talk about internet speed. The 'average' user needs word documents, a calendar (if that) and some other basic stuff. This could be done easily on 0.5 Mbps or less. Assuming you're correct about your 'lot of people', how many of those will be buying a netbook from google as opposed to buying yet another computer from pc world? The people who don't have broadband are simply not in google's target market.
    Internet connection dying is, despite your dismissal of BT, rarely a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Not sure I'd want to get this given google's track record on privacy. I'm sure many people on here remember when a mistake at google resulted in search histories for thousands being made available on the internet. Who wants to trust them with a whole OS?

Bear in mind that the UK has slow speeds by international standards however...
    Really? :holmes: Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    You're probably thinking of AOL, not Google. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_search_data_scandal

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is going to be embedded into the next Windows sorry. Not Chrome OS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    I heard Facebook is going to be embedded in part of the system as Google have a percentage share of Facebook.

Would be a massive marketing ploy for Chrome OS seeing as Facebook now has over half a billion users.

Chrome OS could totally change the way people use Facebook and Facebook could move onto its next generation.
    Have you missed all that has gone between Facebook and Google recently. With the ability to find friends using Google Mail contacts removed and Facebook and Google both blaming it on each other. There not exactly best of friends.

I think you are getting confused with Microsoft they own shares in Facebook and have influence with them, which is why the web search is powered by Bing and I think they provide some of the advertising from their ad network.

There will probably be a Facebook web app at some point but it won't be anything special, probably just the website with in browser notifications. Anyone can develop a web app for Chrome App Store so there doesn't need to be any special relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    Have you missed all that has gone between Facebook and Google recently. With the ability to find friends using Google Mail contacts removed and Facebook and Google both blaming it on each other. There not exactly best of friends.

I think you are getting confused with Microsoft they own shares in Facebook and have influence with them, which is why the web search is powered by Bing and I think they provide some of the advertising from their ad network.

There will probably be a Facebook web app at some point but it won't be anything special, probably just the website with in browser notifications. Anyone can develop a web app for Chrome App Store so there doesn't need to be any special relationship.
    I meant in the new Windows there will be a embedded facebook. Its going to be part of its main marketing ploy.

ReputationRep:
    Let's talk about internet speed. The 'average' user needs word documents, a calendar (if that) and some other basic stuff. This could be done easily on 0.5 Mbps or less. Assuming you're correct about your 'lot of people', how many of those will be buying a netbook from google as opposed to buying yet another computer from pc world? The people who don't have broadband are simply not in google's target market.
    Why would you want a netbook you can only use when you have internet connection? Mobile internet in the UK is pretty shoddy and very unreliable.

Again, if you were going to buy a netbook where the only reliable place to use it is in your house you'd buy a computer or a laptop. Why on earth would you want a netbook (Something built around portability) to use in your house?

Also, you can't use a somebody's opinion if they buy computers from PC world. They're simply technologically inept

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Sauce me.
    I've been told by a friend who has graduated and now works for Microsoft as a programmer - I hate him - I want his job :\

Its basically a program that will be part of windows where you will have full access and navigation of facebook without going to facebook.com.

Its going to have far more features than Facebook has now. It won't be in the next update of Facebook though as the next update of Facebook is being launched parallel to the release of GoogleMe to stop people leaving Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    And what about music, photos etc? I would hate to have to rely on a cloud based OS for that kind of stuff if I had a slow connection. It would be hell.

You'd be surprised how many people buy netbooks. A lot of people buy them because they are cheap. For the average user, they are more than enough in general. Also, whos saying PC world won't be selling chrome OS based netbooks?

And you are very wrong about internet reliability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabandla2003)
    But That's the good part about it. Cloud computing will mean faster, cheaper, more or less virus free Netbooks. At least that's according to Google. Hopefully they will spill all the beans with this announcement :-)
    But at the same time technology is allowing for super small, super powerful, low power computer chips so it's going to be a trade off I think :holmes:

Cloud computing is the future imo though :yep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.