Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Well, I do need your help students from UK

To sum up my life : I am French, I am 20, I turn my 21 in January, I've got my BTEC national diploma (now it's called BTEC Extended Diploma probably) 12,50/20
    And since my childhood I have been loving England, I love everything, especially Music from Uk, I couldn't get through a day without it. I am a big fan of english language and England as well

Now, I have no etablishement plus I have health troubles, anyway

So instead to do a travel language, I do prefer to enroll in English Etablishement and fulfil my dream, because in France there is no these kind of departements, so I googled, and I found UCAS website which is brilliant, and thanks to this website, I found my department.

I would love to study in Media and especially Radio.

So I would like to know first off :

- What is the difference between Media Studies - Broadcast Media - Media - Radio Production - community radio ?

Are there a big difference between all those Courses ?

Secondly ( and the most important) : Is the BTEC national diploma is equal to A-level in UK, I read, it is, but I'd like to know if it is true or false ? Because some colleges say about he requirement A'level, so Does it work with the BTEC National ?

Thirdly : Some colleges requirement say, eg : This course requires Distinction, Merit
    What is the equivalent of Merit in mark ? Me I have 12,50, so What does it represent ?

I really need your help, that would be a dream to join a college in UK, sometimes I told myself : I wish I were born English, I wish I spoke English fluently...

Many, many,many thanks for your help guys !

ReputationRep:
    is anyone here ?

ReputationRep:
    i tried answering you but they wouldnt let me post.

ReputationRep:
    I will try again. You are in the wrong thread, this thread is for people who want to do a masters/ph.d. best to go to the ucas and applications thread or the international lounge forum.

i will try to help you as best as i can. According to this table http://www.suny.edu/provost/internat...0Converter.htm you have a lower second degree.

But the best advise i can give you is to contact the British Council in France. They will have the official conversion for your grades and much more useful information. They are the best place to ask about studying in the UK in your country.http://www.britishcouncil.org/fr/fra...oyaume-uni.htm

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise that you pay to go to university and study radio. You would be much better off actually applying to be on an actual radio station. If you want to go to university for a wider course or a different course altogether, you will still be able to get relevant experience by presenting a show/doing technical stuff at the university radio station.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sclubusher)
    ... I wish I were born English...
    You're French so you're practically English...genetically

ReputationRep:
    Media Studies is a very broad subject. Therefore you should check university profiles and see what each course entails and whether this is something you like.

Broadcast media is all media that is electronically distributed such as tv and radio. NO print media.

Community Radio is non-commercial radio, for example local/regional radio, grass roots

At my university if you study media studies you have to take classes like history of media, media law, media politics ( all very dry) and then you can choose between some modules such as public relations, print media, multimedia, tv, radio etc...

Media studies are not gonna turn you into a journalist. If that is what you want to do, you should look for courses more suited to that. The good thing is that UCAs accept a lot of French applicants, last year they accepted almost 70%.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.