Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so, my cat got put to sleep yesterday after a few weeks of deteriorating health due to a tumour (which was only found yesterday). He was a rescue cat so we were unsure of his age, probably going on into mid-teens. I feel absolutely horrendous if i'm being honest, quite empty really which I know is normal BUT I don't know if i'm being hasty by wanting to rescue an other cat within the next few weeks as a way of a nice surprise for my family. we've always had pets within the house but after my dog died 10 years ago, we waited a year or so to get another major pet. I know they'd love to have another cat in the house, but i do have my doubts in terms of it not being the same cat etc. what do people think?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea, others may disagree. Instead of surprising them (which is a nice idea btw), maybe you should subtely hint at it or something? A new pet, for some, does help the grieving.

Sorry for your loss btw

EDIT: Just reread the bit where you said you know they would like another pet. Go for it I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:

I'm going to be absolutely gutted when my cat passes away. She's almost 16 (human years) pretty much been there all my life but I do take comfort in knowing that we've given her an amazing and comfortable life and you should take comfort in knowing that about your cat too.

I don't think getting another cat so soon would be a problem at least not for me. I'd like another cat soon after my own not to forget her and move on but to in remembrance of her ^__^

Also most RSPCA shelters are full to the brim with cats looking for new homes!

Sorry for your loss but as said just remember you gave your kitty a great life and that's all he/she could of wished for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    :hugs:

I'm going to be absolutely gutted when my cat passes away. She's almost 16 (human years) pretty much been there all my life but I do take comfort in knowing that we've given her an amazing and comfortable life and you should take comfort in knowing that about your cat too.

I don't think getting another cat so soon would be a problem at least not for me. I'd like another cat soon after my own not to forget her and move on but to in remembrance of her ^__^

Also most RSPCA shelters are full to the brim with cats looking for new homes!

Sorry for your loss but as said just remember you gave your kitty a great life and that's all he/she could of wished for.
    I cannot take this seriously after looking at your sig.
    :colonhash:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear you lost your cat.

I don't think it's too soon to get another one if that's what you want. You can't replace the one you've lost, but it would give you something positive to focus on.

If you're planning to get another rescue cat, then they will normally want to meet everyone who lives in the household, so you will probably have to tell the rest of your family at some point before the cat arrives.

My aunt had her cat for about 17 years and was so gutted when she died that she got a ragdoll kitten about a month later. She has brought her so much joy. :awesome: Another cat is a really good idea. :yep:

:console:

ReputationRep:
      sorry for your loss
      i think it isn't a bad idea if you have always had pets, but i would only surprise them if i was sure your parents are ready for a new cat...if you are not sure you should talk with them about it at first...

ReputationRep:
      If you didn't have your cat for long then maybe it'll be fine... not sure about the surprising thing, though, seeing as it'll probably be them who will pay for it's upkeep, and you don't want to adopt it only to have them reject it. Our cat had a tumor and had to be put down too, but we had him for more than 10 years so my parents don't want another cat anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
      i'm really sorry about your cat. my cat died a few years ago and I was devastated. i had 2 cats so it wasn't as bad for me, but getting another rescue cat is a REALLY good idea. they need a good home and you could give it one

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sarahbarker)
      so, my cat got put to sleep yesterday after a few weeks of deteriorating health due to a tumour (which was only found yesterday). He was a rescue cat so we were unsure of his age, probably going on into mid-teens. I feel absolutely horrendous if i'm being honest, quite empty really which I know is normal BUT I don't know if i'm being hasty by wanting to rescue an other cat within the next few weeks as a way of a nice surprise for my family. we've always had pets within the house but after my dog died 10 years ago, we waited a year or so to get another major pet. I know they'd love to have another cat in the house, but i do have my doubts in terms of it not being the same cat etc. what do people think?
      Firstly, allow me to convey my sincerest feelings of sympathy. Losing a family pet can feel very much the same as losing a relative. Only recently, my dog Flash (Weimaranah (sp?)) died at the ripe old age of 18, felt a bit like my heart had been torn out.

Now, I've noticed from your profile picture that your quite attractive, perhaps we could grieve together?

ReputationRep:
      I'm sorry to hear about your cat

Have you thought about fostering? That way you're helping out a rescue and aren't expected to keep the cat if you feel it isn't right for you, but if one happens to come along that you end up really loving you would have the option to adopt it.

ReputationRep:
      very sorry to hear about your loss.

think like this - the more you delay, the more your new cat will wait to share your love and affection. hurrying might be a good thing in this case.
      all the best to you!

ReputationRep:
      I love my kitties - I'd be devastated if they died.

Hope you're ok now

ReputationRep:
      cats die all the time....
      no big deal, once u grow out of it.......

ReputationRep:
      I think you should get a new one
      My cat got run over when I was about 13 and we got two kittens a few weeks later, it made the family feel so much happier and bought new life in to the home.

You should feel happy that you gave your old cat a loving home, it could have been drowned as a kitten or anything, lots of animals are treated with cruelty and you saved it from that
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      sorry for your loss.

i know exactly how you feel, my cat had to be put down earlier in 2010, after having acute renal failure which was the direct result of the ignorance of our vet. my parents bought her a year before i was born, so she really had been there for longer than i have, and what made it worse was the fact that knowing there was nothing we could do about the renal failure, but that we could have prevented it coming in the first place, if it wasnt for my idiot vet.

you should definately bring up the idea of a new cat. when she died, my family were almost treading on egg shells around eachother. she was such a prominent feature in our family, nobody knew how to act.

we got rocky 2 months after kaleigh died, and have never looked back. he is also a rescue cat, and has really gained our hearts. to begin with, everyone was still a bit upset at having a new cat, but now we think it is the best idea we'd had in a while. he opened us up, we started talking about kaleigh again, it was just so much better with the paws about

i <3 my cat

PM for support/advice if you feel like it.

ReputationRep:
      Thts so sad if my cat died I wouldb hysterical honestly she's amazin just b strong honey but ur allowed to grieve so dnt hold it all in talk to someone . I'm the same always had a pet bout fifty hamsters which were all called hammy for some reason

ReputationRep:
      Sorry to hear that. My cat recently died at the age of only 1 year due to getting hit by a car.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.