Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got some questions about Chinese culture and was wondering if you could help with any of them. I've put what I think the answer might be in brackets for some of the questions:

Which colour was reserved for the emperors in historical China?
    (Yellow?)

Why shouldn’t chopsticks be placed vertically in a bowl of rice?
    (It looks like incense sticks that are used in funerals???)

What did the Chinese use gunpowder for when it was first invented?
    (Fireworks??)

At a Chinese banquet, when does rice usually appear?
    (At the end?)

What things could be burned at a Chinese funeral?
    (Incense, joss paper, prayer money?????)

What ingredients make the sweet and sour flavour in Chinese cooking?
    (Pineapple and Soy sauce???)

What was the typical hair style for men in the Qing (?) dynasty?
    (Long ponytail??)

Which colour ink is traditionally used in China for stamping a person’s name on a letter or painting?
    (Red??)

How would you receive a business card in China?
    (With both hands??)

In south Fujian, a province of China, it is customary to treat guests with which beverage?
    (Gong fu tea???)

Which city in ancient China was the central hub of the Ming dynasty?
    (Nán j?ng (??) until 1421 then B?ij?ng (??) confused about this one as I've got 2 cities and not one!!)

The fashion started at the emperor’s court for women to bind their feet was during which dynasty?
    (Tang (?) ???)

Which dynasty contributed to the first written records?
    ???????????????

Which Han dynasty emperor declared Confucianism the state philosophy?
    (Hàn w? dì (???) ??????)

Why should you not give a clock as a gift in China?
    ??????????????

Which colour is associated with death, is considered extremely lucky during New Year celebrations, and should be rigorously avoided at such times?
    (Black?????)

When Chinese put “Lao” in front of one’s last name, it means s/he is…?
    (??????????? - i though maybe old???)

Lao Zi (L?oz? ??) birthday falls on the 15th day of which lunar month?
    ????????

Thank you so much in advance if you can provide an answer to even one of these!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conzag123)
    ??????????????
    When you say "gifting a clock" in Chinese it sounds like the phrase "sending someone to their funeral"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conzag123)
    I've got some questions about Chinese culture and was wondering if you could help with any of them. I've put what I think the answer might be in brackets for some of the questions:

Which colour was reserved for the emperors in historical China?
    (Yellow?)

Why shouldn’t chopsticks be placed vertically in a bowl of rice?
    (It looks like incense sticks that are used in funerals???)

What did the Chinese use gunpowder for when it was first invented?
    (Fireworks??)

At a Chinese banquet, when does rice usually appear?
    (At the end?)

What things could be burned at a Chinese funeral?
    (Incense, joss paper, prayer money?????)

What ingredients make the sweet and sour flavour in Chinese cooking?
    (Pineapple and Soy sauce???)

What was the typical hair style for men in the Qing (?) dynasty?
    (Long ponytail??)

Which colour ink is traditionally used in China for stamping a person’s name on a letter or painting?
    (Red??)

How would you receive a business card in China?
    (With both hands??)

In south Fujian, a province of China, it is customary to treat guests with which beverage?
    (Gong fu tea???)

Which city in ancient China was the central hub of the Ming dynasty?
    (Nán j?ng (??) until 1421 then B?ij?ng (??) confused about this one as I've got 2 cities and not one!!)

The fashion started at the emperor’s court for women to bind their feet was during which dynasty?
    (Tang (?) ???)

Which dynasty contributed to the first written records?
    ???????????????

Which Han dynasty emperor declared Confucianism the state philosophy?
    (Hàn w? dì (???) ??????)

??????????????

Which colour is associated with death, is considered extremely lucky during New Year celebrations, and should be rigorously avoided at such times?
    (Black?????)

When Chinese put “Lao” in front of one’s last name, it means s/he is…?
    (??????????? - i though maybe old???)

Lao Zi (L?oz? ??) birthday falls on the 15th day of which lunar month?
    ????????

Thank you so much in advance if you can provide an answer to even one of these!!!
    1.yes, the shining yellow is reserved for the emperors

2. chopsticks be placed vertically in a bowl of rice means this is gift to the dead, not to someone who can really eat it

3. it's...eh... a byproduct from the alchemists trying to make potion/powder to eternity

4. depends on what type of banquet it is, rice can be served from the beginning to the end, or not at all(rarely happens).

5. anything that burns,and people make every thing from paper(paper cars, paper houses, etc.) to burn in funerals.

6. for sweet Chinese uses sugar dates back to Song dynasty, before that they uses sun dried sugarcane juice. Chinese uses vinegar for sour flavor, soy sauce is salty.

7. Qing hairstyle is long ponytail yes, with bald forehead

8. yes red.

9. with both hand, and a slight bow would be appreciated

10. i think it's Gong fu tea, but i have never really been there before

11. yes, it's Nanjing at first and then moved to Beijing so the emperor can "guard the nation by himself" as he vowed. Nanjing have a backup government if something wiped the entire central government.

12. it starts in late of the Southern Song dynasty and became a must in Qing Dynasty(it's an optional before!)

13. the Shang dynasty have the first inscribed bronze item and turtle shells, but since it's a well developed written language people believe it's even earlier.

14. Han wu di

15. the Chinese character "zhong"(clock/bell) have the same pronunciation as "been terminated"

16. white, if someone died in your family you'll have to wear white for some time(from 27 days to 3 years)

17. if someone is older than you and male and you are acquainted with him, you can call him "lao xxxx", xxxx as his surname

18. the second lunar month

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.