Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im applying for Uni the comming year and Im not quite sure what to study, iv made a short list. Here are my predicted grades for my subjects first of all.
    Spanish A* Biology A Chemistry B Maths B

Iv made a short list of courses which look interresting to me.

But my real question is.....Which of these courses will actually lead to a job?? Like iv heard of "David Beckham studies" and Im dam sure that would never help get a job. And how big is the job market is for each?

Dental Hygiene and Therapy Aka Oral health Sciences : BBB/ CCC
    Anatomy: ABB
    Neuroscience: ABB
    Petroleum Geology (Masters) : ABB
    Genetics: ABB
    Physiotherapy: BBB

I appreciate all suggestions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedi_Pimp)
    Hi, Im applying for Uni the comming year and Im not quite sure what to study, iv made a short list. Here are my predicted grades for my subjects first of all.

But my real question is.....Which of these courses will actually lead to a job?? Like iv heard of "David Beckham studies" and Im dam sure that would never help get a job. And how big is the job market is for each?

For employment prospects, my vote is with petroleum geology.

ReputationRep:
    Have to LOL at D. Beckham studies. Nobody in their right mind would pick that over something else - oh, unless you're a home student, in which case, it's not a huge financial decision for some.

Do not worry so much, some of these courses are great.
    Petroleum Geology looks good, followed by Neuroscience and Genetics.
    I do feel that these are a little specific as undergrad degrees, but then again I'm applying for a pretty specific, singular career target degree myself.

ReputationRep:
    What job would the petrol one get me? It wouldnt be an Oil ENGINEER for certain right?

ReputationRep:
    For a start physiotherapy requires work experience and truly being able to show you're dedicated, if you're not quite sure I'd advise you to look at the others, it's a very full on course if you're undecided.

I can't comment on employment prospects for the others but they're all good degrees and would provide you with good prospects, you have to decide which you could put up with doing for 3/4 years.

ReputationRep:
    All are decent degrees, it depends which career choice you make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    For employment prospects, my vote is with petroleum geology.
    I second this !

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the Advice on the Physiotherapy, that reduces the list by one If all else fails...teach right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedi_Pimp)

Science is not where the money lies mate.
    Petroleoum Geology, do you honestly think there aren't enough people out there? They're all crapping themselves anyway because they know they won't be needed quite soon when it all runs out.
    Dental stuff is so boring, it really is. Try out some work experience and see for yourself, you'll have to be quick though.
    I'd say genetics or neuroscience, but to be honest, you sound like a life troller. If you'd have done your research well, you'd have a fewer selection.
    Money wise though, good luck.
    Neuroscience has a starting salary of £17-20,000 and quite a few stay on that for 10 years. And in those years you move every 2 or 3. There's no funding for research, even for those in the top end, trust me.
    Physio's probably the most "stable" job, otherwise, this post has really irritated me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariashafira)
    Science is not where the money lies mate.
    Petroleoum Geology, do you honestly think there aren't enough people out there? They're all crapping themselves anyway because they know they won't be needed quite soon when it all runs out.
    Dental stuff is so boring, it really is. Try out some work experience and see for yourself, you'll have to be quick though.
    I'd say genetics or neuroscience, but to be honest, you sound like a life troller. If you'd have done your research well, you'd have a fewer selection.
    Money wise though, good luck.
    Neuroscience has a starting salary of £17-20,000 and quite a few stay on that for 10 years. And in those years you move every 2 or 3. There's no funding for research, even for those in the top end, trust me.
    Physio's probably the most "stable" job, otherwise, this post has really irritated me.
    Physio's over-saturated.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. I've applied for neuroscience, but that's because I can honestly imagine myself doing it for the rest of my life and I don't care about money. You've only got research and teaching though. And who's going to pay for your pHd is something to think about, when people struggle with bacheleor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Physio's over-saturated.
    All of them are, genuinely. But if you were to have a job in one of them, it is the least volatile, you have to admit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.