Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good afternoon, I know in the royal navy people living onboard and in onshore accomodation dont have to pay any rent or food bills. I was just wondering if the same applies for the RAF? For example during training and when deployed do you have to pay any bills of any kind?

Also another quick question, when your deployed overseas, the accomodation on an airfield or whereever it is you live, whats it like? I picture them like little huts capable of sleeping 2 people. I'm talking in terms of officer accomodation. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/whatwe...ndbenefits.cfm

I think with the RAF, accomodation and food is subsidised, not free. I would have though that would be the same as the RN.

Theres a little bit on the careers website about accomodation overseas, but theres not alot. There are some videos on the RAF's channel on youtube, which have some info on accomodation in Afghanistan. Quite good. I'll let you try and find it for yourself though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davey1)
    Good afternoon, I know in the royal navy people living onboard and in onshore accomodation dont have to pay any rent or food bills. I was just wondering if the same applies for the RAF? For example during training and when deployed do you have to pay any bills of any kind?

Also another quick question, when your deployed overseas, the accomodation on an airfield or whereever it is you live, whats it like? I picture them like little huts capable of sleeping 2 people. I'm talking in terms of officer accomodation. Thanks.
    You pay monthly food and accommodation charges which come out of your salary, then extras such as bar bill is payable every month on top, usually around the 20th. The charge varies according to the relatively luxury, i.e. an old small single room with just a sink; up to a shiny suite, with Bedroom, Bathroom and Living Room, fitted furniture, network interface etc.

Accommodation in theatre is pretty basic, not exactly mud huts as you describe though!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Operational accommodation can range from tents to better, but currently more towards the tented end of things.

ReputationRep:
    your not trying hard enough unless your mess/bar bill is almost as big as your take home wage.

how much you spend on food depends on if you are on "save as you starve" catering or not.

ReputationRep:
    As an airman, when i was living on base - my room cost around £35 a month. Food is around £130 for all meals (PAYD hasn't been brought in on my station).

Living off base now, so i dont pay either anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I start my recruit training on 7th March and just have some general questions regarding costs when actually living on base. When all recruit and trade training is completed, so that I can get a general idea of how much I will have left to save etc. The pay will not be what I am used to, to start with for the first 4-5 years. So budgeting is going to be something to get used to, but I am not complaining as this is something that I have always wanted to do and will take that cut to start with.

The AFCO isn’t open for few weeks, so just some general questions to start with.

From what I have googled, I believe most bases offer pay as you eat scheme now so looking at about £4 a day.

So if I base this on a month food £125.

what would rent be for a single basic block with electric, water etc, would this be starting at about £75 a month?

Are then have sky or internet as options to, but this will be for me to decide could be best with internet dongle £15pm and Freeview box!!

With your rent charge does this include laundry, if not how much does this cost a month?

Also I’ve read about a bar charge a month, is this to help pay for the low cost drink offred to service men in he family and mess bars? How much is this, is this compulsory?

Any help would be much appreciated, if anybody can think of any costs. Feel free to add on post!

Also regarding pension for new recruits, how much initially do you pay into each month out of your wages for this? Its normally a percentage so every year depending on your pay possibly changing it would increase. So was wondering for a new recruit on a basic of 13k or even up 17,400 I believe what you get after all training complete. Hw much would come out?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, with all those questions, you might aswell wait until you have started training and I'm sure everything will be explained to you then. It varies so much from station to station.

ReputationRep:
    I was only asking for rough figures, im guess your thinking make it though recruit training first.

I am fully 100% going to make it through, yes it will be tough, but i am not atall worried about that i am a survivor and as fit i could ever be. Been training for the last 18months & working on getting even fitter in the next three months.

ok no worries!!

ReputationRep:
    Alimartin888 - i'm commissioned, but it shouldn't be much different.

I will give you the costs for living after training. During training it is generally very cheap.

Food will cost between £4-5 a day, depending on lunch normally.

Accommodation comes in different grades, but you're looking at about £100. It comes with everything paid (except TV and internet as you stated). Laundry rooms are provided and done by yourselves.

Im not sure how bar charges work for you, not familiar with the junior ranks mess. For us we pay subscriptions to the mess, and then any drinks ordered at the bar get added...normally around £50-100, depending on how heavy a month its been! However, on your mess bills it will also have extras added by the station...around £10 i think (charities, sports etc)

Hope that helps a little - you can pretty much make living as cheap as you want to.

ReputationRep:
    Phase 1 training is not pay as you dine, it's a fixed rate.
    Other ranks don't pay as much for accomm - SLAM (single room, en suite) is around £50 for Junior Ranks. Anything else is cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for the helpfull advice. Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Ali M

First of all, congrats on getting into the RAF and best of luck with your training and future career

You've got a bit of advice from peeps, and all I would add, is that its probably best to wait a few months to see how far your salary (which will be more than sufficient for your needs) goes every month. The best thing is it'll go up after training!

Also regarding pension for new recruits, how much initially do you pay into each month out of your wages for this?
    You don't (at the moment) contribute directly (although it is taken into account in the annual pay award) to your pension scheme which (again, at the moment!) is known as AFPS05 - Google it to find some details of the benefits! Big caveat - you may be aware that public pensions (esp Final Salary schemes such as the military) are a source of major angst in the wider private pension sector. The Govt knows this and I'm afraid the military pension WILL change to mirror the private pension schemes to some degree. I don't obviously know the details yet, as the Govt Pensions Review only reports this coming Spring - but I can make an informed guess that the Armed Forces Pension Scheme will change to either make it less beneficial or to make it contributory to some degree or other. Put simply, I don't think your pension will be as decent as mine promises to be from next year. Sh1t happens I'm afraid.

Regarding bills to pay in the RAF - they'll be wanting my kit back next year and I can't for the life of me find my aircrew watch which I last wore in about 1981, about a year after it was issued to me! I shouldn't be able to miss it, it's got a big dayglo Z for Zulu on the face which I was really proud of at one stage. That didn't last long and I then preferred more useful and robust Casio or Timex models inc several G-Shocks from down the souk at Ruwi. However, the mob are going to want about £90 off me if I can't come up with the goods. Anyone help? Schleigg? Stacker?

That's one bill I really don't want to pay!

Happy New Year

Ikky

ReputationRep:
    You can find aircrew watches on ebay for not-very-much-money sometimes.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Ikaruss)

Regarding bills to pay in the RAF - they'll be wanting my kit back next year and I can't for the life of me find my aircrew watch which I last wore in about 1981, about a year after it was issued to me! I shouldn't be able to miss it, it's got a big dayglo Z for Zulu on the face which I was really proud of at one stage. That didn't last long and I then preferred more useful and robust Casio or Timex models inc several G-Shocks from down the souk at Ruwi. However, the mob are going to want about £90 off me if I can't come up with the goods. Anyone help? Schleigg? Stacker?

That's one bill I really don't want to pay!

Not for ProStacker's eyes!!!

Try clearing through a blunt base with civvie stores people, late on a Friday. The person I handed all my kit into took one look at the 4 sacks of kit (mostly blue stuff I'd never worn) and asked for my respirator and helmet (from JPs, 15 years previously). That's all they were bothered about, it never occurred to them that I might have had a watch. I probably confused them by being female though, everyone knows aircrew are blokes!

ReputationRep:
    Try clearing through a blunt base with civvie stores people, late on a Friday. The person I handed all my kit into took one look at the 4 sacks of kit (mostly blue stuff I'd never worn) and asked for my respirator and helmet (from JPs, 15 years previously). That's all they were bothered about, it never occurred to them that I might have had a watch. I probably confused them by being female though, everyone knows aircrew are blokes!
    Banter ON
    LOL, cheers 3PD that made me laugh! So when did the RAF recruit female pilots? Have I missed something?

As my previously FL northern base is in the process of winding down, I guess that now makes it Blunter than a boring ex Army singer! I shall try the Friday afternoon clearing trick and will insist that the Storeman takes the majority of my kit off me as I no longer want it cluttering up all the storage space in my house. I believe they're not interested in the dessie Camelbaks though - that may come in useful for my Munro bagging! Patently, I do not want to be left with bags of RAF uniform 1979-2010 which I would be too embarrassed to flog on ebay. In any case, selling Govt property without authority is criminal activity and should not be condoned.
    Banter OFF

Once again, HNY to all on the Armed Forces site. Good luck to all of you trying to get in, to those already in, stay safe and may you achieve your aims, inside the service or out!

All the very best

Ikky
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    So you lost something you were issued with. You should have taken better care of it. Sorry, lack of any sympathy here - my first posting involved running a Clothing Store and that, coupled with some shocking 'customers' removed any fluffiness on that front.

If we could edit our posts that detail potential fraud, that would be a very good thing indeed.

ReputationRep:
    accidentally loose your kit record book. Works a treat.

or "find" another blank one.

just think, one day all kit issues will be on a central computer database!

ReputationRep:
    If we could edit our posts that detail potential fraud, that would be a very good thing indeed.
    Happy New Year Stax, duly edited.

Seriously, I would have thought even you would recognise banter at a thousand paces? Do you honestly think I would risk my salary or hard earned pension by flogging Govt property on the street corner, Fred's Military Supplies or ebay? Not only have I never sold anything that way, I don't need to! What do you think my name is? Trotter? Anyway, the only fraud I've committed against the Supply empire involved a SCAF Cpl who I persuaded to come over to the aircrew side under false pretences! It wasn't my fault that he pitched up on my Nimrod Sqn and crew just at the time that we stopped going to 4* hotels in Florida and the Cribbean and downgraded to tents and portacabins in equally hot but infinitely less friendly places. He's never forgiven me!

Re the watch, it's not lost yet, merely cunningly hidden somewhere in my house or the previous Mrs Ikky's. If at any time I declare it missing, I shall patently cough up the requisite amount and do so with grace. If that's all I have to own up to after 30+ years then inshallah I've kept all my other issues well under control and have administered all my RAF inventories smoothly and professionally.

I'm delighted there's at least someone who takes the subject of Public accounts seriously, Stacks - the (potential) loss of my wee aircrew watch pales into insignificance with the £3.6 BILLION of British taxpayers money that the Govt has just poured down the drain in cancelling 9 x Nimrod MRA4's and all the trimmings.

Anyway, on that note, I'll go and furnish my stomach with more Resolve :eek: something's rumbling.

Happy 2011 Staks, may it be a good one for you!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Given the losses of pensions, demotions, charges, early departures from the RAF, prison time, fines, criminal investigations and other 'loss-related' activities I've experienced and witnessed over the years, you may forgive my rather un-sporting stance on the matter. More people on Flying Pay have asked me to put my own career at risk more than any other group.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.