Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Laptop recommendations Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Basically I need a new laptop but am unsure what to get. I'm studying a design course so need it to be compatible with photoshop and illustrator etc and was looking into buying a macbook pro, but I don't want to blow all my money if there's a better and cheaper PC out there.

I would like one with as much battery life as possible (as mine has about 2 hours and is really annoying!) And preferably one thats quiet and doesn't overheat as soon as you switch it on as mine unfortunatly does.

I am willing to pay up to £1000 if I have to.

Has anyone got any suggestions/ recommendations?

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Macs are pretty good for design AFAIK and has battery life thats better than Windows based laptops, so in this situation I would probably go with a Mac.

The only thing I would think about is, if can adapt to Mac OSX.

ReputationRep:
    Macbook Pro 13" on Apple Education Store

Then get a 128gb SSD and 8gb ram from www.crucial.com

I'm doing it as my mate has and its a beast of a machine. Don't get the upgrades from Apple as they are way over the top in price and make sure you get Apple Care.

This will cost you about £1200 altogether and its well worth saving £200 more for.

Also, I forgot to mention, If you need a bigger screen whilst editing then buy a monitor with a DVI/HDMI input and then get a Mini DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI (depending on the connection on your monitor) to hook your MBP up.

That way you have

1. A powerful machine
    2. A fast machine
    3. Portability with the Macbook Pro 13"
    4. A bigger screen to do editing back at your home/halls.

You have everything you need all for under £1400. I can't wait to have mine set up !

ReputationRep:
    Vaio F series, but the battery life is pretty bad - max around 2.5 hours for me, but this is powerful and I use it as a desktop replacement instead of moving it around.

ReputationRep:
    I love my 13"...

Macbook Pro.
    I mean who doesn't love a 10 hour battery life!
    I use mine for Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign and software like that.
    holds up fine!

ReputationRep:
    If you want it specifically for your Designing or as a main use, then Macs were built for Design and Web Interface.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.