Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok my a level subjects are Maths (with stats), Economics, Chemistry and ICT, I'm in year 12 as well. My problem is I am hating ICT, subject is boring, I have no motivation, haven't been going to quite a few lessons. Looking back, I don't even know why I picked it...

So would it be wise to drop the subject now, even though I have wasted 3 months of lessons and coursework. In future I want a BSc in Economics from a top 15 uni. So I was thinking of dropping ICT and replacing it with AS Further maths but I would have to self teach all the stuff (I would do it mostly over summer).

Good idea or not?
    Also is it 3 modules (FP1, FP2 and S3) in AS further maths if I did pick it?

I know the school won't be happy if I chose to drop the subject

ReputationRep:
    Well, what grade are you currently getting, it wouldn't hurt to finish it and get a good grade, however if you really do hate it then you should, if you have the ability to teach yourself then do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YingYang)
    Ok my a level subjects are Maths (with stats), Economics, Chemistry and ICT, I'm in year 12 as well. My problem is I am hating ICT, subject is boring, I have no motivation, haven't been going to quite a few lessons. Looking back, I don't even know why I picked it...

So would it be wise to drop the subject now, even though I have wasted 3 months of lessons and coursework. In future I want a BSc in Economics from a top 15 uni. So I was thinking of dropping ICT and replacing it with AS Further maths but I would have to self teach all the stuff (I would do it mostly over summer).

Good idea or not?

why would you have to self teach further maths? isn;t there a further maths class at your school?

ReputationRep:

Good idea or not?

I dropped a subject three months in (decided over Christmas to do it, left in January) and never did replace it ... but I had the subjects I needed. Choosing to take an AS in further maths would probably help you more in economics that studying ICT when you don't like it.

However, I don't think that combination would be acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robthriller)
    Well, what grade are you currently getting, it wouldn't hurt to finish it and get a good grade, however if you really do hate it then you should, if you have the ability to teach yourself then do that.
    I could get a B with revision, A if I REALLY pushed myself. It's hard to tell considering a lot of the as is coursework, which teachers aren't allowed to grade/tell us if it's right or wrong.

(Original post by W.H.T)
    why would you have to self teach further maths? isn;t there a further maths class at your school?
    I like the whole idea of self teaching, I find it more relaxing. Also the class at school I'm not 100% sure, will be able to take me in as they start all there further maths stuff after doing the full maths a level, whilst I will be doing further maths as during the maths a2. But I have to talk to the maths department about this, they will probably offer me tutoring of some sort if I did self teach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I dropped a subject three months in (decided over Christmas to do it, left in January) and never did replace it ... but I had the subjects I needed. Choosing to take an AS in further maths would probably help you more in economics that studying ICT when you don't like it.

However, I don't think that combination would be acceptable.
    Why wouldn't it be acceptable do you think? :/

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't it be acceptable do you think? :/
    I don't think they would accept the S3 without S1 and S2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I don't think they would accept the S3 without S1 and S2.
    Yeah I would actually switch to M1 considering this. Is it acceptable to take FP1 and FP2 in jan 2012 without having C3 and C4 until June 2012?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would actually switch to M1 considering this. Is it acceptable to take FP1 and FP2 in jan 2012 without having C3 and C4 until June 2012?
    I did FP1 and FP2 before C3 and C4 - that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry i have had a similar strange way to getting my A levels - started off in year 12 with AS Sociology RE English and Geography. Dropped Geography in late November. Then did not take summer exam in RE due to illness so I got A in Soc and D in Eng for AS decided not to continue with A2 RE so I am sitting the 2nd AS exam in January taking A2 Soc and Eng and took up AS home economics in september which i love.
    basically there are many routes to getting your a levels. I am considering taking psychology next year but scared it may be too mathematical

ReputationRep:
    rofl i took ict and it was boring has hell dropped it in the first year xDDDD

currently in my third and final year finishing :

physics & chemistry ... predicted A*A, respectively .

uhmhm yh gonna apply to York and LSE :X

also good luck, hope you get what you want :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.