Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently studying Architectural Technology at Leeds Met, and i'v had quite a major change of heart, and am hoping to either transfer or reapply for 2011, to something else. Architecture was basicly my notion to find something which i enjoyed doing to an extent, and would keep me financially secure. But seeing as though the latter is now a myth, i'd like to move to something that i would enjoy more, however something that i could still find a future from.

I have always had a massive interest in games, that has always existed outside of just playing games. I have ran events in games, reviewed games for websites, and designed mods and edits for various games. I also have a great interest in game art, specifically concept art. It is probably my favourite field of art, and perhaps it is in my interest to stop thinking of it as just a private hobby, and take it further.

I have looked at quite a few courses this morning.

Visual Effects & Concept Design [BA] Staffordshire

Computer Games Design & Production [BSc] Northumbria

3D Games Art [BA] Hertfordshire

Game Art & Design [BA] Norwich

Digital Arts Practice [Fda] Huddersfield

I'm trying to find something along the lines of digital concept art. That has always been my most interested topic, particularly in the game industry where it is very prominant.

My deviantart account, only 1 month old, but since last week i have began working on concept art with a pen tablet.

So i'm just asking for a bit of advice from anybody experienced in the field, whether you have some knowledge on the aformentioned courses, or the field of work upon graduation.

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivlatty)
    Hi, i'm currently studying Architectural Technology at Leeds Met, and i'v had quite a major change of heart, and am hoping to either transfer or reapply for 2011, to something else. Architecture was basicly my notion to find something which i enjoyed doing to an extent, and would keep me financially secure. But seeing as though the latter is now a myth, i'd like to move to something that i would enjoy more, however something that i could still find a future from.

I have always had a massive interest in games, that has always existed outside of just playing games. I have ran events in games, reviewed games for websites, and designed mods and edits for various games. I also have a great interest in game art, specifically concept art. It is probably my favourite field of art, and perhaps it is in my interest to stop thinking of it as just a private hobby, and take it further.

I have looked at quite a few courses this morning.

Visual Effects & Concept Design [BA] Staffordshire

Computer Games Design & Production [BSc] Northumbria

3D Games Art [BA] Hertfordshire

Game Art & Design [BA] Norwich

Digital Arts Practice [Fda] Huddersfield

I'm trying to find something along the lines of digital concept art. That has always been my most interested topic, particularly in the game industry where it is very prominant.

My deviantart account, only 1 month old, but since last week i have began working on concept art with a pen tablet.

So i'm just asking for a bit of advice from anybody experienced in the field, whether you have some knowledge on the aformentioned courses, or the field of work upon graduation.

Thanks guys.
    I teach on the 3D Games Art BA at Hertfordshire, and I've had to draw a lot of concept work when I worked in the Games industry (mainly environment concepts). I would suggest looking for a course that will teach you the 3D side of Games Art as well as concept art, because there are very few concept artists (fulltime) in the games industry - every company has a few, but I mean a few, and if you want to walk out of a degree and into a job I'd say become very good at the 3D side of things and also show in your reel/portfolio that you can create excellent concept art (that will help you get a job these days). That way you can get a junior position and then work your way up to being a concept artist; this is likely to take sometime because concept art jobs are highly prized and not exactly common...

In terms of your portfolio the two snowy scenes are interesting, but in the first one (cave scene) the entrance area requires some thinking to ensure that it either is a far off landscape, or a wall of ice blocking the cave - at the moment the lack of definition is confusing - for a far off landscape, blur the area slightly, and reduce contrast, maybe tint towards blue a little. If it's a wall of ice, add details - stalagtites of ice dripping down, or fragments of rock within it.

The Mountain image is also potentially good, but the angles are odd and there is nothing in the scene to judge scale by - the mountain appears to lean too much to the right or the camera/view is skewed that way - some foreground object to explain scale might help.

Good luck, keep working

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info!

Yes i read elsewhere that it was a good idea to a varied and extensive knowledge in game production outside of concept art. That way i can show i'm not just a one-job person, who is to be discarded with as soon as the game has begun production. I am quite proficient in 3D design, however are you referring more to specific software? I'm assuming Maya is the software of choice here, and if so, i will begin learning to use it.

Also thanks for the critique on the paintings. They are my first attempts so i was expecting major areas of improvement. I would say that life-drawing is something which i have studied least in my time, so i'm not suprised that they lacked the content to give the viewer a good sense of scale. The mountain image is supposed to be off-canter, although there should be some region which is horizontal and normal, so that the viewer is able to tell that the mountain in-view is tilted, and not the viewing perspective. I also agree with the ice wall, it was intended to be some distance away from the cliff entrance, on the other side of a valley. I plan to replace it.

ReputationRep:
    E A Sports
    It's in the game

ReputationRep:
    You know you might be right.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info!

Yes i read elsewhere that it was a good idea to a varied and extensive knowledge in game production outside of concept art. That way i can show i'm not just a one-job person, who is to be discarded with as soon as the game has begun production. I am quite proficient in 3D design, however are you referring more to specific software? I'm assuming Maya is the software of choice here, and if so, i will begin learning to use it.

Also thanks for the critique on the paintings. They are my first attempts so i was expecting major areas of improvement. I would say that life-drawing is something which i have studied least in my time, so i'm not suprised that they lacked the content to give the viewer a good sense of scale. The mountain image is supposed to be off-canter, although there should be some region which is horizontal and normal, so that the viewer is able to tell that the mountain in-view is tilted, and not the viewing perspective. I also agree with the ice wall, it was intended to be some distance away from the cliff entrance, on the other side of a valley. I plan to replace it.
    Yes- do learn a 3D program to a high level and produce high quality work with it. In the UK the Games Industry is split between 3DSMax and Maya, but knowledge of Maya will help you in other industries like VFX where it is the standard.

By the way, if you want to ask questions about animation courses, there is a very good thread here that might help you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...301364&page=76
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently studying Architectural Technology at Leeds Met
    Sorry to bump and old post. Im looking for information an opinions on the Architectural course.

What was it like and what did it involve based on your experience.

Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.