Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just want to know the main negatives for introducing ID cards into the UK.

Iv'e heard people take the 'if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to hide' argument. And then there's a big debate over civil liberties and right to privacy etc.

Personally I have no problem with them as long as they would provide needed information and are useful. There would have to be significant upsides for me to be in favour.

Your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Colossal waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    i carry enough bloody ID in my pocket. What makes this bit of plastic more truthful than the rest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Colossal waste of money.
    Why are they a waste?

£5 billion is a LOT of money tbf.

Do you know what they aim to do (other than prevent terrorism :L)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    Why are they a waste?

Do you know what they aim to do (other than prevent terrorism :L)
    And how would they do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    And how would they do that?
    I don't believe they will do much if anything in regards to preventing terrorism. It's just that is one of the claims put forward by some of the people who support ID cards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grth)
    i carry enough bloody ID in my pocket. What makes this bit of plastic more truthful than the rest?
    This....!

ReputationRep:
    What labour had in mind was very expensive, not accepted in pubs as ids, it was intrusive on civil liberties, AND could be faked and "clonned" really easily. I think that the times did a demostration where they brought on and made a cloned on for Osama bin laden.

ReputationRep:
    because as an extremely dopey person I tend to lose stuff a lot and losing this would be a pretty big **** up, even for me!

ReputationRep:
    The cost but also the principle.

Why should I need to have an ID card on me at all times, thats far too much state control over me. Its a massive leap in the direction away from liveral democracy and towards police/fascist state.

OBVIOUSLY, just because we would have ID cards wouldn't make us a police state, but its our duty not to surrender any civil liberties because over a long period of time they could be gradually reduced. I'm nto a conspiracy theorist saying that would happen, but if we have learned anything from the past its that the state shoudl NEVER be allowed to cross the line, no matter how harmless it initially seems.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    I just think it's sheerly ridiculous. The first thing an illegal immigrant is going to do is forge an ID Card. Like people forge passports and jump in lorries to get onto this island. I even managed to forge my bus pass. It's not difficult.

I bet we'd also end up paying a premium for them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnaalpha)

Why should I need to have an ID card on me at all times, thats far too much state control over me. Its a massive leap in the direction away from liveral democracy and towards police/fascist state.

OBVIOUSLY, just because we would have ID cards wouldn't make us a police state, but its our duty not to surrender any civil liberties because over a long period of time they could be gradually reduced. I'm nto a conspiracy theorist saying that would happen, but if we have learned anything from the past its that the state shoudl NEVER be allowed to cross the line, no matter how harmless it initially seems.

Hope that helps!
    It's interesting, but IMO there is no problem having ID. You need ID to drive, ID to buy alcohol, ID sometimes when using credit cards, ID to go in/out of the country etc. Why does having another piece of plastic handy "cross the line"?

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting, but IMO there is no problem having ID. You need ID to drive, ID to buy alcohol, ID sometimes when using credit cards, ID to go in/out of the country etc. Why does having another piece of plastic handy "cross the line"?
    You don't need ID to Drive, buy booze or use a credit card. Which police state do you live in?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah....ID which you already have. And which the police state in which you live in have already organised. Why do we need another card saying 'I am not a terrorist"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You don't need ID to Drive, buy booze or use a credit card. Which police state do you live in?
    Drivers license is a form of ID

You get asked for ID when buying alcohol

And more and more often, places ask for ID when someone makes a purchase using a credit card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grth)
    Yeah....ID which you already have. And which the police state in which you live in have already organised. Why do we need another card saying 'I am not a terrorist"?
    Not everybody has them. Quite the contrary. Loads of people don't have passports, drivers licenses etc. So perhaps a universal identification system would be of benefit.

I'm playing devil's advocate here. I'm not entirely sure where to go with this.

And ID cards won't do much towards preventing terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnaalpha)

Hope that helps!
    Pretty much this! And I believe that once ID cards become the norm, it would lead on to things like swipe cards which we'd have to use every time we get on a train or whatever. How about we just provide finger print every time we buy something from Tesco? (Actually, at the school I went to the pupils now have to provide a finger print to buy dinner or take out a book from the library). You know what, why don't they just chip us all now and be done with it.

One thing leads to another, it's that simple.

ReputationRep:
    Coming from a country that has IDs, they're useless. I only ever use them to go into clubs. So yeah, just don't bother really.

EDIT: But please stop being exhibitionists. They don't take away any of the bull you're all talking about. They're just a piece of paper that help with identification.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't those the cards that have a microchip in them that can trace peoples' whereabouts?

If so, I'd imagine the ninja profession to suffer quite terribly.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Why are they a waste?

Nono you've got it wrong. You're falling into a common trap, and confusing what the government says something will cost and what it will actually cost. There's a simple formula (all units in £):

Predicted cost * 2.14 + 89342 - 12 = Actual cost. So actual cost will be £10700089330
    Sucks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.