Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A wire of length 2.6m and constant diameter 0.80 mm is made of steel with a Young modulus of 2.0 x 10^11 Pa. The wire is stretched so that its length increases by 1.2 mm. Assuming that the change is elastic, calculate for this wire:

1) The force applied at each end of the wire.

How would you do this? :confused:

I worked out the strain as being 4.62 x 10^-4 and the applied strain as being 92300000. Any ideas?

(Original post by adil12)
      A wire of length 2.6m and constant diameter 0.80 mm is made of steel with a Young modulus of 2.0 x 10^11 Pa. The wire is stretched so that its length increases by 1.2 mm. Assuming that the change is elastic, calculate for this wire:

1) The force applied at each end of the wire.

How would you do this? :confused:

I worked out the strain as being 4.62 x 10^-4 and the applied strain as being 92300000. Any ideas?
      Use Young Modulus = stress / strain
      Stress is Force / Area of cross section
      Strain = increase in length / original length

You can work out area of cross section from the diameter.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stonebridge)
      Use Young Modulus = stress / strain
      Stress is Force / Area of cross section
      Strain = increase in length / original length

You can work out area of cross section from the diameter.
      Right, so I would then just re-arrange the formula and do 92300000 x (0.0004^2 x Pi) = 46.4 N as the answer?

(Original post by adil12)
        Right, so I would then just re-arrange the formula and do 92300000 x (0.0004^2 x Pi) = 46.4 N as the answer?
        Yes, that's it.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Stonebridge)
        Yes, that's it.
        Awesome thank you :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.