Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so during my a levels i didnt do as good as expected. i got a foundation course offer from RHUL and a offer from kingston. (RHUL was my firm choice) Stupidly i chose to go kingston which was a bad mistake. i have nothing against the area as it is fairly nice place to be but the uni has a bad reputation and also the students are a bit to gangsta for me and cant mix with the people.
    so i was wondering can i get a uni transfer to another london uni which is better?
    (a levels BCC)
    or could i go back on my decision and do foundation year in RHUL next year?
    look forward to your replies tanks

ReputationRep:
    What do you expect if you pick a uni in Jamaica

ReputationRep:
    I think do whatever you have to, to get out :P

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone can get into a good uni, if they could, then......:rolleyes:

Next.

ReputationRep:
    Try talking to your tutor about a transfer, it'd save you time and stress rather than repeating the year. Did you actually get the grades for RHUL? Coz if so you may be able to transfer there and RHUL looks awesome (one of my mates goes there). If not there are some really good unis in LDN there's plenty of places for you to try and transfer to =]

I actually go to Kingston uni atm, but think it's pretty crappy too (and you're right it is v gangsta =p) I'm thinking of dropping out and reapplying to Brunel, Essex and Hertfordshire =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeybob123456789)
    so during my a levels i didnt do as good as expected. i got a foundation course offer from RHUL and a offer from kingston. (RHUL was my firm choice) Stupidly i chose to go kingston which was a bad mistake. i have nothing against the area as it is fairly nice place to be but the uni has a bad reputation and also the students are a bit to gangsta for me and cant mix with the people.
    so i was wondering can i get a uni transfer to another london uni which is better?
    (a levels BCC)
    I think that you should e mail the admissions tutor from RHUL and ask if you can still do the foundation year. Do this now in case you have to go through UCAS and need to get in before the Jan deadline. No point in wasting yet another year. You need to find out how much of the fees you need to pay back.

ReputationRep:
    1. Do a degree with a foundation year
    2. ???
    3. Profit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlitterFairy92)
    Try talking to your tutor about a transfer, it'd save you time and stress rather than repeating the year. Did you actually get the grades for RHUL? Coz if so you may be able to transfer there and RHUL looks awesome (one of my mates goes there). If not there are some really good unis in LDN there's plenty of places for you to try and transfer to =]

I actually go to Kingston uni atm, but think it's pretty crappy too (and you're right it is v gangsta =p) I'm thinking of dropping out and reapplying to Brunel, Essex and Hertfordshire =]
    (Original post by monkeybob123456789)
    (a levels BCC)
    Hey I go to Kingston too and also thinking about dropping out! What courses are you doing? I'm doing interior design but since being ill during the first term I haven't been able to make any close friends Do you find that a lot of people can be pretty cold too?

ReputationRep:
    Well, since the tuition fees are rising, I say stay were you are, try to focus on your studies and make the best of a bad situation. You only have 2 more years left anyways..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa90)
    Hey I go to Kingston too and also thinking about dropping out! What courses are you doing? I'm doing interior design but since being ill during the first term I haven't been able to make any close friends Do you find that a lot of people can be pretty cold too?
    Heys, I was doing Human Biology with French but I dropped out just before the holidays. I found it quite hard to make good friends aswell, maybe it's true what they say about people being different down South compared to the North =/ But I don't like to stereotype! =p I'm reapplying now.
    I hope things get better for you, whatever you choose to do =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    What do you expect if you pick a uni in Jamaica
    Aha in both ways

ReputationRep:

Brunel and Hertfordshire are still a bit Gangsta. Not sure about Essex

ReputationRep:
    Are you actually making the effort to mix with other people? Also if you drop out it will have implications for your funding. And there is no guarantee you will get a place on the other course anyway, as I assume you would have to reapply.

ReputationRep:
    yeahh, you should consider dropping out, it really isn't worth it....
    don't know of anyone who has really made miracles by achieving a kingston degreee....
    employers may well confuse you a jamaican degree and offer you a cleaner post to the max

well tbh, RHUL is way better for you, it's way more prestigious and a foundation year of course is an extra course and means more workload, but it should pay off in the long term....

Please don't consider any of the unis in my spoiler, you'll get screwed, oooh better said get drilleed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)
    Thanks for the heads up =] Herts didn't look that gangsta when I visited last year =/ But I guess I wasn't really looking =p I've done some more research since then, now I'm looking more at Sheffield Hallam, Brighton or Northumbria anyway =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)
    Hmm, what do you mean by a bit Gangsta here..?

Btw OP yes RHUL has got a pretty good reputation, I'd say reapply. BUT where Kingston is on the marginally gangsta side RHUL is like polar opposite.
    From what i've heard plus in expereince living close by, it has a very high percentage of international students, a fair few 'rahs' and is also in a very sleepy part of greater london whic hisn't actually that close to london or even got a tube station for that matter.
    On the plus side...you can't be gangsta in Egham. (A path tried and failed by some).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the heads up =] Herts didn't look that gangsta when I visited last year =/ But I guess I wasn't really looking =p I've done some more research since then, now I'm looking more at Sheffield Hallam, Brighton or Northumbria anyway =]
    I live near Hatfield and it's not that bad, as long as you didn't do anything stupid you'd be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Heys, I was doing Human Biology with French but I dropped out just before the holidays. I found it quite hard to make good friends aswell, maybe it's true what they say about people being different down South compared to the North =/ But I don't like to stereotype! =p I'm reapplying now.
    I hope things get better for you, whatever you choose to do =]
    Ahh right, well good luck with reapplying! Yeah I dunno, I was ill for a fair bit of the first term so I'm worried that it's too late to get close with people now :/ Guess I'll just have to see when I get back next week! Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.