Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a HP Compaq 6720s notebook which won't stop crashing (Windows Vista Home Edition). Every single time I start it up and try to do anything it crashes. Most of the time I can't even get to the internet because it freezes and won't let me.I can't do a virus scan or anything because I can't get that far before it freezes and after that I can't even start task manager or anything to get it to turn off - I have to press the power button. Sometimes after doing this and restarting it, it says it has to check some of my disks for consistency while starting up but even after letting it do this there is no improvement. I'm at loss as to what is wrong with it. It had been crashing a little more than usual but not too often then suddenly it happened while I was surfing the web and now it won't stop. I've had to use a different computer just to post this...

If you need any other info about the laptop just ask...I'd really appreciate some help with this but I'm not a really tech-savvy type so I'm not really sure where to start.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Go into safe mode and then scan.

ReputationRep:
    I've tried safe mode but it still crashes before I can do anything

Turn off the laptop, take the battery out, press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds or so. This will use up any residual power in the laptop. Put battery back in and plug the power in. Now try to boot into safe mode and perform a scan.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.