Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to write an essay on how Steinbeck presents George in Of Mice and Men. I have 2 hours, I'm at GCSE level, how much in words should I write? :confused:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As much as you can without going off topic

ReputationRep:
    There's not a minimum/maximum amount to write. Just write anything relevant about it.

Having said that, this does usually equal about 2 pages at GCSE level I think. Think that's about what I wrote, though I can't remember for sure, it seems so long ago now.

ReputationRep:
    'Quality not quantity'

As much as you can that's relevant, concise and well worded

ReputationRep:
    2 hours for one essay at gcse...seems a bit harsh!
    Anyway, it's all about quality, not quantity, but I would aim for 1500-2000. At A level I generally aim to write 1000 words in 45mins-1hour. Also, don't let that panic you because there's loads to write about for OMAM and it is possible to write loads when you're gcse level - i think that one of my gcse cwk pieces was about 3500 words!haha

ReputationRep:
    I did 6 sides but I still only got a B So it really is quality. Focus on the question and just see how much you get done, because you won't get points for waffeling

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do a book, I did the short stories in the exam. I ended up writing about 4/5 sides of the booklet though, my writing is a speedy scrawl.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest in GCSE not that much. I can't really remember but I doubt I wrote more than three sides and got an A*.

ReputationRep:
    As much as you can as long as it's good, relevant stuff. Don't waffle, repeat yourself or go off topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wodeford)
    I have to write an essay on how Steinbeck presents George in Of Mice and Men. I have 2 hours, I'm at GCSE level, how much in words should I write? :confused:
    Isn't the exam 1hr 45? 1 hr for two poems, and 45mins for mice and men?

Anyway I did around 2-3sides and got A*

ReputationRep:
    I think you're asking the wrong question. As others have said, it's about quality and the relevance of your answer rather than quantity.
    Your question should be : how can I write a good quality answer in the time allowed?
    I suspect you are asking about length because you don't find it easy to write for an extended period of time ( quite understandable) and aim to stop when you've written "enough".
    When I wrote my last exam I wasn't thinking about how much I had written at all : I just kept going until I ran out of time.I did a quick plan at the beginning and when I found I was running out of time I listed summaries of additional paragraphs I hadn't had time to write.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said to get an A/A* then it needs to be at least a page every 15 mins, but obviously that's complete bull****. At least 2 pages of quality analysis will be fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.