Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NSPCC Facebook Campaign: Load of Bull. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know there is another thread, but they all people telling you what cartoon they changed it too and how pretty it looks and how they jumped on the bandwagon of all of their friends and dont care one bit just want a cartoon as their picture.

Raise awareness?
    Every person I know without fail knows what the NSPCC is.. this is especially true for all my same-aged friends on facebook.
    So, not we get off that they dont need to raise awareness, because maybe 95%+ of people on facebook will already know who they are.

I have a regular donation of £2 a month, not a lot, i am a poor stupid ya know :rolleyes:. But what have you guys done, changed a picture? well done. im proud.

Show some real support and donate money, something that could actually help.

It just annoyed me all these people copying and pasting the same status and changing their picture like doing that makes them all high and mighty because they just helped someone.

Rant over =]

ReputationRep:
    Psh, boring rant. If you'd really wanted to rant about it, you would've pointed out that it's just the next stage of a meme that's been around since early-mid November and has nothing, really, to do with the NSPCC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Psh, boring rant. If you'd really wanted to rant about it, you would've pointed out that it's just the next stage of a meme that's been around since early-mid November and has nothing, really, to do with the NSPCC.
    Well im sorry, i didnt realise that every single person knew exactly where these meme's came from, how they developed and what stage they were at. Perhaps we should alldo as much research in to it as possible to know about it as much as you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Well im sorry, i didnt realise that every single person knew exactly where these meme's came from, how they developed and what stage they were at. Perhaps we should alldo as much research in to it as possible to know about it as much as you
    Who does research these days?! That's for crazy people. I just read my newsfeed. :yep: That said, apparently there is a website dedicated to the evolution of memes. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Gah, totally feel the same. Now i'm getting a load of stick from people on facebook...

ReputationRep:
    I agree. :3

But expect a lot of backlash from lazy armchair activists.

ReputationRep:
    How many people would be thinking about that charity without this campaign?

How many peope are now thinking about the charity because of the campaign?

Are you implying this isn't going to help the charity AT ALL? considering the thousands of people who are involved?

It surely must help, and therefore it's worth doing, so why are you randomly ranting?

ReputationRep:

It just annoyed me all these people copying and pasting the same status and changing their picture like doing that makes them all high and mighty because they just helped someone.
    You seem a bit high and mighty yourself, if I'm honest.

It's just a picture, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by `R92)
    How many people would be thinking about that charity without this campaign?

How many peope are now thinking about the charity because of the campaign?

Are you implying this isn't going to help the charity AT ALL? considering the thousands of people who are involved?

It surely must help, and therefore it's worth doing, so why are you randomly ranting?
    I happen to agree with this. I volunteer for 2 charities helping with Children with disabilities, a bit different I know, but if someone took the initiative to raise the awareness for my charities, I wouldn't say no... no publicity is bad publicity and I really wouldn't consider the majority of the people doing this as high and mighty, for some its a bit of fun, but for others it will push them into helping, maybe helping more than a donation, and actively volunteering...who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    You seem a bit high and mighty yourself, if I'm honest.

It's just a picture, really.
    I'm sorry for actually donating real money rather than thinking im awesome by having a cartoon as my picture =]

Agreed. Totally load of bull ****. Probably started by a 14 year old girl, the same type that send emails around claiming that you'll die if you don't send it on.

ReputationRep:
      bandwagon

ReputationRep:
      No I disagree with you. Because of this campaign I will never hit a child, seeing cartoons has made me realise that it would be a bad thing to do.

ReputationRep:
      So the child abuse charitys shouldn't get an almost guaranteed boost in donations because ....? I don't even see the reason, because people think they're awesome for helping them get awareness? What kind of dumb point is that lol.

ReputationRep:
      I don't have a real problem with it, but so far I'm failing to see how a load of kids changing their facebook pic is going to make a difference. The adults, maybe, because they'll think more deeply about it. But a lot of shallow kids will just be like: 'What do you mean 'do my bit?' I changed my FB pic!'

ReputationRep:
      Awesome Facebook cartoon picture

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      If the NSPCC hasn't gained a penny from this 'campaign' I'd be very surprised. I think people have got the wrong end of the stick. Of course 99% had already heard of the NSPCC, it's more of a reminder. They'll be users out there who have been reminded and donated money as a consequence. Just playing devil's advocate - personally I think there are far more effective ways of making a difference.

ReputationRep:
      i just wanted to take the opportunity to have Spyro The Dragon as my profile picture.

ReputationRep:
      I understand you and agree with you to an extent, but it's not like those cartoons are harmful to the cause. I mean, even if all those people putting cartoons up convinces at least 1 person to give to the NSPCC, it's a good thing right? (Even if the vast majority of people doing it don't actually know/care)

ReputationRep:
      I'm sorry for actually donating real money rather than thinking im awesome by having a cartoon as my picture =]
      I donate too. And of course I am not criticising you for that, it's the fact that a lot of people are acting like they are better because they don't have the picture.

I'm sure there are people acting like they are better because they do as well - but I haven't really seen them.

But no I don't think the picture is necessary to show that you support NSPCC, just a bit of a fun way to do it. :dontknow:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.