Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i got a B in Maths and chemistry should i resit them before i apply to med school or will it hinder my chances of getting into uni
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Best advice is to contact universities directly. Some allow you to retake GCSE's so you can meet their minimum requirements, some do not allow it (i.e. if you retake Maths and get an A*, they would still only consider the B grade). Depends entirely on the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Best advice is to contact universities directly. Some allow you to retake GCSE's so you can meet their minimum requirements, some do not allow it (i.e. if you retake Maths and get an A*, they would still only consider the B grade). Depends entirely on the university.
    Fully agree with you there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    thanks i'll call them monday morning but this is mainly for Bristol and kings if any of you know their policies on this

ReputationRep:
    Kings might not like it, they think heavily of the amount of A*s you have in your first sitting, but better make sure and give them a ring

ReputationRep:
    sorry ive got another question but i thought it would be better to use an already existing thread

does re sitting modules of gcses hinder chances?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by halii_94)
    sorry ive got another question but i thought it would be better to use an already existing thread

does re sitting modules of gcses hinder chances?
    If you're within your GCSE year (i.e. do your GCSE's within 2 years) then no, I did and I think quite a lot of other people would have done. If you've finished your GCSE's (eg. currently sitting your AS) and want to go back and resit a module to increase the overall grade, that is where it might become complicated and you should check with individual medical schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    If you're within your GCSE year (i.e. do your GCSE's within 2 years) then no, I did and I think quite a lot of other people would have done. If you've finished your GCSE's (eg. currently sitting your AS) and want to go back and resit a module to increase the overall grade, that is where it might become complicated and you should check with individual medical schools.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you resit a module your dates will change, i.e. if your current date was June but then sat a module in January and your overall mark went higher, you would get a new certificate with the January date on it, this tells universities that you have resat something. So that is the problem.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by raveen789)
    If you resit a module your dates will change, i.e. if your current date was June but then sat a module in January and your overall mark went higher, you would get a new certificate with the January date on it, this tells universities that you have resat something. So that is the problem.
    Again, this is not an issue if you are resitting within the 2 GCSE years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    do you think it would be better if i did an IGCSE? so its a separate qualification altogether?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.