Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for tuition fees of £3000 since I had no idea how much it cost on my course and I was just told to guess. So now I get a letter through saying that there's still £290 left of fees to pay and to contact student finance.

I did and they told me I could change it online, brilliant. I went to my account and to the part where you can change how much you want to get for tuition fees but it won't let me go over the £3000 I applied for!

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do? =/ I've only got a couple of days to fix this.

ReputationRep:
    damnn...maybe you could try contacting student finance? if you cant get through (I'm not sure which of the numbers this works on) but just dont press anything on the automated thing and you should get put through to an advisor...

ReputationRep:
    What you have done is for the question that asks how much your uni is charging in fees you put £3000, therefore it won't let you increase the loan above £3000.

You need to change that question first, not sure if you can do this online or not.

ReputationRep:
    I had this. You can't do it online, you have to fill in a form and send it to them.
    I wish I could tell you what form, but I really can't remember it.
    I rang the student finance people and they talked it all through with me, so that's what I recommend you do.
    You say you only have a few days to do it, but if you talk to your uni and explain the situation and tell them that you're sorting it, but it may take a few days as it has to be done by post, I'm sure they'll give you some more time.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...year/DG_171586

Should cover all you need to know, grab a change of circumstances form fill it as appropriate and send off.

ReputationRep:
    Currently happening to me aswell.
    It's a royal pain in the ass.

Basically student finace screwed up and sent me last years amount for tuition fees... I then get a letter from university saying "Impending Withdrawl" :eek:

I called the uni and asked for more time. It's only £60.
    They gave me an extra month to sort it out.
    As long as you explain to the uni what is going on they will be understanding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExcessNeo)
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...year/DG_171586

Should cover all you need to know, grab a change of circumstances form fill it as appropriate and send off.
    ^^^ This is correct and what I've done. There is the option of ticking "maximum tuition loan available" (or something along those lines).

Then tell your Uni that's what you've done.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you apply for a loan to pay for a fee you don't know about?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the info guys! I should be able to talk to the people at Uni and explain that it is coming. I'll fill in the form and send it off asap!

(Original post by Diaz89)
    I knew that there were going to be tuition fees, I just didn't know exactly how much since it was never specified on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racheya)
    I applied for tuition fees of £3000 since I had no idea how much it cost on my course and I was just told to guess. So now I get a letter through saying that there's still £290 left of fees to pay and to contact student finance.

I did and they told me I could change it online, brilliant. I went to my account and to the part where you can change how much you want to get for tuition fees but it won't let me go over the £3000 I applied for!

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do? =/ I've only got a couple of days to fix this.
    This has happened to moi, you have change your application details to alter the loan to £3290.00.

ReputationRep:
    Because you are expected to apply months before the price is sometimes finalised.

I changed my application at the start of September online to a foundation year, the price was doubled about a week later so I had to send off the change of circumstances form as the website wouldn't let me change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerBay)
    ^^^ This is correct and what I've done. There is the option of ticking "maximum tuition loan available" (or something along those lines).

Then tell your Uni that's what you've done.
    You need to make sure you change the question that asks how much the university is charging for tuition fees. As they will never pay above the amount you put in that question so even if you set maximum it won't go over £3000 if thats how much you have said the university is charging for your course.

ReputationRep:
    Because you are expected to apply months before the price is sometimes finalised.

I changed my application at the start of September online to a foundation year, the price was doubled about a week later so I had to send off the change of circumstances form as the website wouldn't let me change it.
    Aren't tuition fees fixed at least on a yearly basis? Unis can't just double them out of nowhere?

ReputationRep:

Understood, but are you sure you're not going on the part of student finance where is is called, change your loan details or are you actually going on the part where you make amendments to your application, because in this case, you can change your loan to £3290, however in the former, you can only change it to the maximum to whatever it is set to, i.e. in your problem, only £3000.

Am I making sense?

ReputationRep:
    Aren't tuition fees fixed at least on a yearly basis? Unis can't just double them out of nowhere?
    Well, it may have just been I couldn't find the updated prices for the foundation year until I spotted the increased price during registration. It's no biggy, I had it all organised in time and the first payment is due to be sent by student finance in the new year.

(Original post by Hamesh)
    Understood, but are you sure you're not going on the part of student finance where is is called, change your loan details or are you actually going on the part where you make amendments to your application, because in this case, you can change your loan to £3290, however in the former, you can only change it to the maximum to whatever it is set to, i.e. in your problem, only £3000.

Am I making sense?
    I checked all over the site and there wasn't the option to adjust the loan amount higher than what you set it as, the link I gave details what you can and can't change online and provides the form required to change what you can't change online. Most of the change application was locked after I did the online change of course.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it may have just been I couldn't find the updated prices for the foundation year until I spotted the increased price during registration. It's no biggy, I had it all organised in time and the first payment is due to be sent by student finance in the new year.

I checked all over the site and there wasn't the option to adjust the loan amount higher than what you set it as, the link I gave details what you can and can't change online and provides the form required to change what you can't change online. Most of the change application was locked after I did the online change of course.
    Right, I'm going to try and help you anyway, if it's a no, then so be it, do the form and send it.

1. log in, home page comes up, then go down to the box where it says ''My Applications'', click this, ''Make changes to your 2010/11 application''

2. Then on that page, click this, ''Change your application details''

3. Click continue and then Extra financial help should come up with questions like the following ''Do you want to apply for Special Support Grant?
    Yes
    No''

Click continue from there and you go the page called Your course

4. Go down the page where you see ''Further information about your course'', and you see this question appearing,

''Give the full tuition fee amount that your university or college is charging for the course you will be studying?''

Write your number, £3290 in that box and click continue and click continue and go on until you save your info, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamesh)
    Right, I'm going to try and help you anyway, if it's a no, then so be it, do the form and send it..
    I'm not the thread starter, I did it all by the form about 3 months ago.

ReputationRep:
    Every uni says on their website that the fees for the 2010/11 year are £3,290, so I don't understand how you couldn't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Every uni says on their website that the fees for the 2010/11 year are £3,290, so I don't understand how you couldn't know.
    It's called being a fool

But thanks for letting me know about the change of circumstances form, everyone. I've sent it off and Uni are giving me until 15th January to get the money from SF which, I think, is doable

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.