Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have decided that I am going to get one of these two phones on a new contract. But, I am not sure which one tbh, which one would you recommend? I have looked around and see that they are around 25 pounds each per month, and found that the HD has a lower battery which may annoy me.

Which one would you recommend and why? Also, can you get either of the phones for under £25 per month without Cashback deals?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of getting the HTC Desire on Orange, £20 p/month, £99 handset so I'm subscribing to this thread. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Whenever chosing between two phones.. always just google one v the other

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3654...-vs-htc-desire

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's one simple question.

Do you need/want a 4.3" screen?

Fundamentally it's this choice, if you think the screen is too big go for the Desire. If you want the added real estate go for the Desire HD. Also bear in mind browsing the internet on the Desire HD is probably the best a phone can offer, and offers a sharper image that the Desire (AMOLED version) despite actually having a lower pixel density.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    It's one simple question.

Do you need/want a 4.3" screen?

Fundamentally it's this choice, if you think the screen is too big go for the Desire. If you want the added real estate go for the Desire HD. Also bear in mind browsing the internet on the Desire HD is probably the best a phone can offer, and offers a sharper image that the Desire (AMOLED version) despite actually having a lower pixel density.
    I dont need a 4.3" screen but the prices on contract for both phones are very similar, around 25/mnth if you want the phone for free, so it is very difficult decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Thinking of getting the HTC Desire on Orange, £20 p/month, £99 handset so I'm subscribing to this thread. :mmm:
    I am tempted with that deal too,
    for £20p/month, £99 handset, you paying £579 total, for the whole period for 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 250 mb of internet for Htc Desire.

for £25p/month, £0 handset, you pay £600 total, you get 300 minutes, 3000 texts, and 500mb of internet for Htc Desire HD from phones4u.

So, for another £21 you get 200 minutes and 250 mb of internet more and a Htc Desire HD.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    I dont need a 4.3" screen but the prices on contract for both phones are very similar, around 25/mnth if you want the phone for free, so it is very difficult decision.
    Go into a store and check them out. You might find 4.3" too big or just right. On paper the Desire HD is better but the dimensional differences are what separates them greatly.

ReputationRep:
    I have a DHD and a friend of mine has a regular Desire.
    They both have quite crap battery and we both have to charge them once we get in (lasting about 8 hours off charge).
    I wouldn't recommend buying them for an mp3 player unless you have two batteries.

The speaker is turd on the DHD and only sounds decent when you face the speaker to your face which isn't practical when trying to watch a video...

The screen is AMOLED on the Desire and I think the DHD is only SLCD.

There is not much difference in performance either so you're just paying extra for a bigger screen and phone.

ReputationRep:
    Go into a store and check them out. You might find 4.3" too big or just right. On paper the Desire HD is better but the dimensional differences are what separates them greatly.

My brother getting the Desire HD, so I have a look at what I think of it before I make a decision. Might just buy a 1500mAH battery as well to improve the battery life a little bit too, thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    I am tempted with that deal too,
    for £20p/month, £99 handset, you paying £579 total, for the whole period for 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 250 mb of internet for Htc Desire.

for £25p/month, £0 handset, you pay £600 total, you get 300 minutes, 3000 texts, and 500mb of internet for Htc Desire HD from phones4u.

So, for another £21 you get 200 minutes and 250 mb of internet more and a Htc Desire HD.
    Hmm I'd rather be paying £20/month though. I've looked at the two phones and there's not a huge amount of difference between the two, and for me I think a smaller phone would be better, particularly with the longer battery life. I personally never call anyone either so the extra minutes are no issue, and I'd be using wifi in most cases for the internet so...

I guess you just have to think what deal is better for you personally.

ReputationRep:
    My brother getting the Desire HD, so I have a look at what I think of it before I make a decision. Might just buy a 1500mAH battery as well to improve the battery life a little bit too, thanks for the help.
    I don't think you can do that cos of the unibody design means you can't put a bigger battery in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I don't think you can do that cos of the unibody design means you can't put a bigger battery in it
    Can you not use a replacement battery with 1500mAH like the one on this link for the desire hd.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Tech-...1735649&sr=1-5

ReputationRep:
    I would go for the newer model, the Desire HD. It's got a lovely large screen, a better processor, a fantastic camera, more internal memory, and it's newer: one thing HTC tend to do (I own a HTC Legend so I'm well aware of this) is stop updating older/inferior models... I doubt my phone will receive 2.3 like the HTC Desire, and in the future, the Desire HD may receive updates the Desire doesn't.

I'd say the only department the Desire triumphs in is battery life (and size, but that is arbitrary), so I think for the same price plan, the Desire HD is definitely the one to go for. If you use your phone a moderate amount, you will probably charge it every night, I don't think an extra hour will make a great deal of difference.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not use a replacement battery with 1500mAH like the one on this link for the desire hd.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Tech-...649&sr=1-5
    I was under the impression from reviews that I have read that you couldn't because of the size of the battery housing and the unibody means you can't put a physically bigger battery inside it but it seems that that should work
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Tech-...649&sr=1-5
    Don't buy this. You don't want to put a cheap Chinese knock off battery inside your phone. Chances are HTC will release a higher capacity battery later down the line.

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy this. You don't want to put a cheap Chinese knock off battery inside your phone. Chances are HTC will release a higher capacity battery later down the line.
    Thanks for the advice, thats fair enough I think I just get it then wait for an improve battery if it does come further in line.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.