Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the ads and limitations of particiapnt observation??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What are the ads and limitations of particiapnt observation???

I've only managed to find 2 ads. I really need this info for my presentation. Please help

The ads i've got are that:

- its valid
    - the length means that a researcher can observe the behaviour over a long duration of time
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What are your advantages at the minute?

ReputationRep:
    Advantages:
    First hand information (natural environment)
    Large amount of data - rich detailed qualitative data.
    Disadvantages:
    Socail desirability answers.
    Time consuming

I didn't don't know if this applies to sociology because I did psychology and we learned about this too.

ReputationRep:
    *Disadvantage:
    -It lacks objectivity.
    -Time consuming.
    -May lead to change in behavior of the group or an individual.
    *Advantages:
    -Gives great insight in group.

ReputationRep:
    Advantages
    - provides the researcher with "verstehen", important if they take an interpretivist view of sociology
    - rich and detailed data
    - high validity
    -unique viewpoint from within group - help uncover data that would otherwise be unaccessible
    -deep understanding

Disadvantages
    -time-consuming
    -if it's an overt observation then results may be distorted by the Hawthorne Effect ie. they know they are being watched and so act differently due to social desirability etc
    -the researcher risks "going native" - sympathising, identifying with the group until they no longer see the behaviour as abnormal (stop making notes on it, take on new perspective)
    -covert observations can be hard to get out of as well as quite risky, e.g. if the study is on a violent gang, being revealed as an undercover researcher could have very serious implications (therefore danger of harm to researcher - ethical issue)
    -ethical issue of deception
    -practical issue of how will the researcher gain access to the group?

We did this today and were encouraged to think about advantages/disadvantages in terms of P.E.R.V.E.T (I know :s) - Practical, Ethical, Reliable, Valid, Easy to exit, Theoretical. Hope that helps you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.