Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    About me: I'm 19 years old (20 in April 2011), and have been working out since March 09, and have been using free weights (properly) since Jan 2010. I have piled on quite a lot of muscle and fat, but I would say my body type is ecto-meso

Vital Statistics: (as of December 2010)
    Height (without shoes)- 6'2, 187 cm
    Weight- (with shoes, shorts and t shirt post workout)- 14 stone 11 pounds, 93.5 kg

Waist- 35.5 inches
    Chest- 43 inches
    Rough bodyfat estimation (from a machine, not the best i know)- 16% give or take 2%

Lifting Stats:

Bench (12 months experience)- 5RM, 92.5 kg
    Squat (6 months experience)- 5RM, 110 kg? (To parallel)
    Deadlift (1 month experience)- 5RM, 110kg?, not to0 sure on this
    Seating Dumbell Press- 5RM, 65 kg (32.5 kg each hand)

Chosen Programme: Texas Method

Proposed workout plan:

Mon (volume day):

5 x 5 Bench Press (82.5 kg)
    5 x5 Squats (100kg)
    5 x 5 BB Rows (not to sure on weight, because I haven't done Rows before)
    3 x 30 sit ups

Wed (recovery day):

3 x 3 Military Press (45 kg?, again not to sure on weight as haven't done these)
    3 x3 Squats (85 kg)
    3 x 8 Pull ups weighted with 15 kg (narrow grip ones, with the handles pointing towards you)
    3 x 8 Lat pull down (cable)
    3 x 30 sit ups

Fri (intensity day):

1 x 3 Bench press (95kg)
    1 x 3 Squat (115 kg)
    1 x 3 Deadlift (120 kg)
    3 x 30 sit ups

ReputationRep:
    Texas Method is a solid routine, though I think you'd probably be able to run standard linear progression on squats for at least a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Texas Method is a solid routine, though I think you'd probably be able to run standard linear progression on squats for at least a while.
    standard linerar progression? you mean like do squats every 3 days for 3 x 8 and progress every session?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc1991)
    standard linerar progression? you mean like do squats every 3 days for 3 x 8 and progress every session?
    3x5 monday wednesday friday, add weight every session.

Once that stops working, make wednesday's workout light (maybe 80% of monday's workout). That way you still make progress twice per week. When that stops working, maybe do texas method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    3x5 monday wednesday friday, add weight every session.

Once that stops working, make wednesday's workout light (maybe 80% of monday's workout). That way you still make progress twice per week. When that stops working, maybe do texas method.
    in my previous squat routine (been doing it since July) i have been doing squats every 3 days, 3 sets of 6-8 and progress has been minimal to non-existant lately.

hence i thought id give the texas method a go

ReputationRep:
    Do a deload, do 3 sets of 5. When you get near your old numbers, do an 80% light Wednesday. Nail your diet and SLEEP.

ReputationRep:
    god, i just realised im going to be so unpopular in the gym tomorrow.. i mean it only has 2 power cages, and il be using one of the them for like 45 minutes

"how many sets you got left mate?"
    "about twenty, sorry man"

ReputationRep:
    god, i just realised im going to be so unpopular in the gym tomorrow.. i mean it only has 2 power cages, and il be using one of the them for like 45 minutes

"how many sets you got left mate?"
    "about twenty, sorry man"

**** them and do your workout. They probably just wanna do curls and some faggy 1/8th squats. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    45 minutes is nothing. But by all means, let people work in if it's only a person. If 3-4 guys rock up, they'll have to wait.

ReputationRep:
    alrighty, just got back from the gym, today i did (in order):

Squats:
    Bar x 5
    95 kg x5
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    95 kg x 5

all p*** easy tbh

Bench Press:

bar x 5
    50 kg x 5
    82.5 kg x5
    82.5 kg x5
    82.5kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5
    82.5 kg x 5

again, these weren't too strenous either

Barbell Rows (first time i've ever done these)

bar x 5
    50 kg x 5
    50 kg x 5 (too easy)
    60 kg x 5
    60 kg x5
    60 kg x 5

these weren't that bad, i'm just getting used to the technique, which isn't ideal i guess. most guys there seem to barbell row at least what they bench press, so i guess next workout i'm looking to up the weight significantly here

30 x 3 sit ups (on weighted machine, therra-crunch)

This workout took me about 1 hour, (including about 10mins or so weighting for a cage), there was nothing demanding about this, but i wanted to start light on week 1 so as not to stall in the start.

ReputationRep:
    Nice work man, stick to it for a while and eat well. Texas method is a solid routine and it will get your lifts up. I started 5x5 bench at 80kg and it got me up to 115kg 5x5 in 5 months.

ReputationRep:
    in my previous squat routine (been doing it since July) i have been doing squats every 3 days, 3 sets of 6-8 and progress has been minimal to non-existant lately.

hence i thought id give the texas method a go
    Fair enough man, do what you want. As I said, Texas Method is a solid routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Nice work man, stick to it for a while and eat well. Texas method is a solid routine and it will get your lifts up. I started 5x5 bench at 80kg and it got me up to 115kg 5x5 in 5 months.
    thanks man, looks like we started on the same level i guess

do you reckon my shoulders are getting neglected on this btw? because their only being worked on weds for 3 x3...
    i mean i'd quite like to keep my (relatively) strong shoulders

ReputationRep:
    thanks man, looks like we started on the same level i guess

do you reckon my shoulders are getting neglected on this btw? because their only being worked on weds for 3 x3...
    i mean i'd quite like to keep my (relatively) strong shoulders

I used to do 5x5 ohp on wednesdays and then switched to 5x3 cos I wasnt making progress. I think its enough shoulder work really. The original texas method says you should alternate between bench and ohp i.e. week 1 you do monday 5x5 bench, wednesday 3x3 ohp, friday bench, then week 2 monday 5x5 ohp, wednesday 3 x3 bench, friday ohp, so you can do that if you want to work your shoulders more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    The original texas method says you should alternate between bench and ohp i.e. week 1 you do monday 5x5 bench, wednesday 3x3 ohp, friday bench, then week 2 monday 5x5 ohp, wednesday 3 x3 bench, friday ohp, so you can do that if you want to work your shoulders more.
    thats not a bad idea actually, although it does mean im only doing proper bench or OP workouts every 2 weeks.. il try that out if my bench press stalls maybe

ReputationRep:
    okay, did my Wednesday/recovery session this morning:

Lat Pull down: (did these first as power cages were busy)

15 x 30kg warm up
    8 x 78 kg
    8 x 84 kg (Failure)
    8 x 84 kg (Failure)

Overhead Standing Barbell Press

6 x Bar
    5 x 40 kg
    5 x 50 kg
    5 x 50 kg
    5 x 50 kg

I have never done this before, only DB seated shoulder press, which I so 8 reps of 30kg each hand, 50 Kg for the barbell felt about right, all these sets were done 1 or 2 reps before failure.

Squats:

Bar x 5
    80 kg x 3
    80 kg x 3
    80 kg x 3

no worries, felt a little sore though after Monday

Weighted Pull ups:

Bodyweight (94kg) x 4
    BW + 16kg x 5
    BW + 16kg x 5
    BW + 16kg x 5

The 3 work sets were all done to within 1 rep of failure. Instead of a dumbell between my legs, i used a belt and chained myself to a 15kg plate.

Sit ups (therra-crunch machine)

25 kg x 30
    25 kg x 30
    25 kg x 30

Nutrition:

Breakfast (9:30) 6 weetabix
    workout 11-11:45
    11:45 Protein shake and bananna
    12:30 2 slices toast and 2 eggs with 300 ml OJ
    14:00 400gram steak and 100 gram pasta with vegetables with 300ml milk
    16:30ish Protein shake
    18:30ish probably 1.5 tins tuna, 100 gram pasta and veg
    22:15 300gram cottage cheese, 1 slice of toast, 300ml semi-skimmed milk
    00:00 Bed time

EDIT: Just realised I'm probably not getting enough food in, I mean thats probably slightly over 3000kcal, I need 3500-4000 I reckon

ReputationRep:
    Did Friday/Intensity session today from 10:10 to 10:40

Bench Press:

Bar x 5
    50 kg x 5
    70 kg x 4
    95 kg x 6 (nearly 7 reps)

I was aiming for a 3 rep max on 95 kg, but i managed to psych myself up and push out 6 full reps

Squats:
    Bar x 5
    50 kg x 5
    80 kg x 4
    110 kg x 5

Again I thought 110 kg was going to be a 3 rep max, but i managed to push 5 out

Deadlifts:

70 kg x 4
    80 kg x 2
    120 kg x 0
    120 kg x 0
    110 kg x 3

(I had been aiming to get a 3 rep max out at 120kg, but couldn't even do 1 rep, or at least without massive amounts of back strain). Produced a 3RM at 110kg. Disappointing

ReputationRep:
    right, did Monday workout 2, volume today 9:45-10:45

Bench Press:
    Bar x 5
    40 kg x 5
    85 kg x 5
    85 kg x 5
    85 kg x 5
    85 kg x 5
    85 kg x 5

no worries there, definetly had another 3-4 reps left in me at the end of the last set

Squats:

Bar x 5
    50 kg x 5
    97.5 kg x 5
    97.5 kg x 5
    97.5 kg x 5
    97.5 kg x 5
    97.5 kg x 5

Easy, had plenty more reps left in me, maybe I should have repped out my last set?

Barbell Rows (still struggling with technique):

Bar x 5
    Bar x 5
    60 kg x 5
    80 kg (found this too heavy to work with)
    65 kg x 5
    65 kg x 5
    65 kg x 5
    65 kg x 5

65 kg was fairly easy, will push it to 70 kg next time, it does worry me how its so much less than my bench though :/

Ab work

Vertical crunch thing (45 degrees or so) just body weight, 3 sets of 20

ReputationRep:
    Why does it worry you that it's less than your bench? Presumably you've been benching a lot longer than you've been doing rows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Why does it worry you that it's less than your bench? Presumably you've been benching a lot longer than you've been doing rows.
    yeah, but everyone else seems to row a fair bit more than they bench. i mean the skinny kid in the power cage next to me was benching a mere 50 kg, but still managed to barbell row as much

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.