Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm doing AS spanish at the moment and I'd like to expand my vocab and become a more fluent reader. I'm just wondering if you suggest any books to read? I've tried the Gabriel Garcia Marquez novels, Como agua para chocalate etc but that level of literature just takes too long to read...

Have any of you read any translations of british books (which are fairly easy but still entertaining)? no como los tres cerditos...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have a Cervantes novel, two short stories, and it is incomparably boring. I also have Gomorrah, a crime novel, which is ok.
    You'll be able to get any popular novel in a translation, so just take you pick, though don't go for something too long, as it gets tiring stumbling on ever other word and picking at a 50lb dictionary to try and find them

ReputationRep:
    I have a cool book on Spanish legends which is in English & Spanish. It's also good for cultural insight too.

We are all interested in SOME sort of news, right? Go to www.elpais.com (the spanish newspaper) and locate the area in which you're interested, for me it would be education or history. Print off one or two article, and read through them.
    Highlight words you don't know in one colour, and in a different colour right the definition (annotate).
    On the back, jot down what you have read to be the main argument, contrasting argument, what has happened and any other contextual information (in Spanish).
    Have a teacher read it who is fluent, and compare your notes on the back to theirs.

This is really, really helpful. For a topic you're studying, e.g for me immigration, get an article on immigration and then do the above. It's so helpful for picking out words, as most of them use key words for the topic such as verbs to judge, to trial and vocab like the judge, the defendant etc.

Let me know if this works. Give a positive rating and/or quote if you want a reply

-kins.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.