ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I need a clear simple definition for the following:

Buffer
    Weak Base
    Strong Base
    Weak Acid
    Strong Acid

And possibly their interactions! Im trying to study them on the book but I can't get a thing! Please if I can understand them Ill rape the +rep button for you

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think it keeps the pH constant.

In fact:
    (chemistry) an ionic compound that resists changes in its pH

Type into google "define: *insert term here*" and you'll have it done in a few minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Do I look like your personal google slave?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusty12)
    I think it keeps the pH constant.

In fact:
    (chemistry) an ionic compound that resists changes in its pH

Type into google "define: *insert term here*" and you'll have it done in a few minutes.
    Ive been already looking into f***ng google, internet is just copy and paste! I need thinking human minds!

What does "resists changes in its pH" means? That maintains the pH of a solution constant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prospekt117)
    Hi!

I need a clear simple definition for the following:

Buffer
    Weak Base
    Strong Base
    Weak Acid
    Strong Acid

And possibly their interactions! Im trying to study them on the book but I can't get a thing! Please if I can understand them Ill rape the +rep button for you
    A buffer is a solution of a weak acid and conjugate base or a weak base and it's conjugate acid that will counteract changes in pH.

For acids and bases, weak and strong just indicate to what extent they dissociate; weak acids/bases do not dissociate as much as strong acids/bases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chembob)
    A buffer is a solution of a weak acid and conjugate base or a weak base and it's conjugate acid that will counteract changes in pH.

For acids and bases, weak and strong just indicate to what extent they dissociate; weak acids/bases do not dissociate as much as strong acids/bases.
    Counteract Changes in pH: THATS WHAT I ****IN NEEDED! Thank you sir, teach the noobs how to reply on board forums!

ReputationRep:
    Ive been already looking into f***ng google, internet is just copy and paste! I need thinking human minds!

What does "resists changes in its pH" means? That maintains the pH of a solution constant?
    What's wrong with your own thinking human mind then? You could at least be polite. :erm:

A buffer is a solution with a stable pH. By 'resists changes in ph', they mean that it's pH doesn't changes significantly if you add, say, acid.

you can add buffers to things so that the pH stays stable, ee if you're doing an experiment on the effects of something else and don't want the pH to be inconsistent and mess up your results.

ReputationRep:
    Counteract Changes in pH: THATS WHAT I ****IN NEEDED! Thank you sir, teach the noobs how to reply on board forums!
    You understood 'counteract changes in pH' but my answer of "resists changes in pH" eluded you and wasn't good enough?:curious:

ReputationRep:
    www.google.co.uk I've even typed out the address for your convenience.

ReputationRep:
    Also note that buffers won't necessarily stop all changes in pH, there will still be a small change but one that would be a lot smaller than if there wasn't any buffer present.

Also, adding too much acid/base can overpower the buffer so it'll only work up to a certain point.

ReputationRep:
    Buffers

ReputationRep:
    So the purpose of the buffer is that of maintaining the solution at a standard pH? In what way does the buffer help the chemist in making a solution?
    Ps I remember during the lab session some powder was put in a weigh boat and then weighed on an analytical scale: is weighing part of making a good buffer? Thanks a lot!

And Dusty12 I haven't been that polite because I knew some self important smart ass would come up with a comment like:

"g00gle iz your freidn!!!1111one!" probably congratulating at himself in the mirror afterwards....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.