Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I did my SAT II subject tests and got a 650 in Literature and a 790 in Maths Level 2. I didn't study at all, this is no exaggeration, but I was still disappointed in my Lit score. I had a decent SAT I score from last year and retook the SAT I test today and I think I've done pretty well, so should I retake the Literature subject test in January? Most universities say that Jan is the last testing date, so it will be valid and its not like I've got anything to lose. The only thing is, I'm suddenly devoting unnecessary attention to the US applications as opposed to concentrating on A levels, so I'd just like feedback from everyone on whether you think my score would improve considerably with a bit of practice and so on? I'd ideally like to score above 700, then I would feel more comfortable sending my scores to the few unis that I'm applying to.
    Another maajor problem with my application is that I have no sciences. I was never interested in them and knew what I wanted to do early on, so never took them for gcse and obviously to A level. I only have science in my first year of high school, grade 10, but the remaining 3 years are completely lacking in any science subjects. I know that this is a problem, but honestly while picking my subjects I wasn't trained to think like a potential Ivy League student, I just picked the ones I liked and now this decision is coming back to haunt me. Is this going to affect me very badly?

ReputationRep:
    Choosing to dedicate time away from your A-levels, your main course of study I should add, for some small SAT subject tests is just plain foolish in my opinion.

Your A-level grades matter MUCH MORE when it comes to the gaining admission, because they test to a greater depth and breadth than do 1 hour, basic subject tests. They (A-levels) are your MAIN COURSE OF STUDY (i.e. it shall be the largest academic weight placed on your application). Getting top grades on your A-levels is a lot more significant and meaningful than attaining marginally higher scores on your Sat subject tests (which are stellar to start with), and indeed was the case when I applied last year. Concentrate on getting the highest grades possible for your A-level examinations Saks10111.

- Yale student of 2011.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    Choosing to dedicate time away from your A-levels, your main course of study I should add, for some small SAT subject tests is just plain foolish in my opinion.

Your A-level grades matter MUCH MORE when it comes to the gaining admission, because they test to a greater depth and breadth than do 1 hour, basic subject tests. They (A-levels) are your MAIN COURSE OF STUDY (i.e. it shall be the largest academic weight placed on your application). Getting top grades on your A-levels is a lot more significant and meaningful than attaining marginally higher scores on your Sat subject tests (which are stellar to start with), and indeed was the case when I applied last year. Concentrate on getting the highest grades possible for your A-level examinations Saks10111.

- Yale student of 2011.
    Thanks, yeah of course I wouldn't dedicate hours of study to Lit, I would just go in slightly better prepared. But yeah, I don't think I'll be doing it. Wow, congrats on Yale, that's my dream US uni in fact! Do you mind posting your grades, SAT scores etc.?
    Also, what's your response on the second query I posted, about my not having any science subjects? Thanks again for all your advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.