Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Working class and university Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all

I just wanted to know if there is anybody else in the world like me? I go to University of Edinburgh yet I come from a background of my dad being a lorry driver and my mum a stay at home mum, both installed very working class ethics in my (when I say working class I mean by morals and ethics; not money).

I'm 23 so a little older then the average student but after 2 years in this university its really started to drain me how snobbish a lot of people can be, thank god I'm married!! or I'll feel like a right loner.

It seems to me that every time I meet people they really get on my nervous by just how middle-upper class they can be, don't get me wrong I meet people who come from that background I get on with and don't act snobbish. but a majority are and have no concept of what anything working class is.

I know some of you are going to say I need to be more diverse but at the end of the day if a person cannot be diverse to my background how can I be with there, plus I'm the minority so much more misunderstood.

anyone got any views on this?

ReputationRep:
    Same

(Original post by mrbrit)
      It seems to me that every time I meet people they really get on my nervous by just how middle-upper class they can be, don't get me wrong I meet people who come from that background I get on with and don't act snobbish. but a majority are and have no concept of what anything working class is.

I know some of you are going to say I need to be more diverse but at the end of the day if a person cannot be diverse to my background how can I be with there, plus I'm the minority so much more misunderstood.
      It just sounds like you're misinterpreting signs and getting into a huff at ghosts. Obviously a few people are going to be ********s, but most aren't going to give two toots what class you are (and certainly not the 'majority').

In other words: think less, chill more.

ReputationRep:
      My family's thoroughly working class and I can't say I've ever really noticed =/

ReputationRep:
      Face it, most students who attend uni are real posh bois.

ReputationRep:
      I am from a poor background, my mum doesn't work and my dad has a menial job, and the contrast between me and my uni peers is quite striking. For example, they have more confidence and are risk takers, whereas I am not because I haven't had the same experiences and been able to pick up the same skills. I haven't even been on holiday, let alone skiing, music lessons, etc.

ReputationRep:
      ...right.

Why should they have sensitivity to your upbringing?
      I'm betting you don't have a natural understanding of what it's like to grow up as a muslim, a homosexual, or someone or the opposite gender. Everyone is in some sort of minority and yet not everyone has a victim complex about it. Surely you can man up and find some common ground to get along with people.

ReputationRep:
      My family is working class.

I can't say I've noticed any difference between me and other students, except the people in this building seem to scream and run around knock on doors like children, though I suspect that's far more to do with being immature ****s than being middle class.

ReputationRep:
      Yawn. Give up. Your parents are working class. We'll see if you are in about twenty years time.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TKC)
      ...right.

Why should they have sensitivity to your upbringing?
      I'm betting you don't have a natural understanding of what it's like to grow up as a muslim, a homosexual, or someone or the opposite gender. Everyone is in some sort of minority and yet not everyone has a victim complex about it. Surely you can man up and find some common ground to get along with people.
      Actually i'm gay and also I have ADHD and dyslexia... so i have a very good understanding of what its like to be in the minority... and I very rarely play the victim as i really couldn't care what people think of me.

(Original post by TKC)
      It just sounds like you're misinterpreting signs and getting into a huff at ghosts. Obviously a few people are going to be ********s, but most aren't going to give two toots what class you are (and certainly not the 'majority').

In other words: think less, chill more.
      Its not them... most of them are nice don't get me wrong, just i talk to them and feel like we are worlds apart, nothing to relate to them about, I've always had this problem with students from elite universities, they have a lack of understanding for a lot of my morals.

so just to requote that for you... its not that they give a dam that i'm working class... its more I give a dam that they are middle-upper class.

ReputationRep:
      they have a lack of understanding for a lot of my morals.
      What are your morals?
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      Actually i'm gay and also I have ADHD and dyslexia... so i have a very good understanding of what its like to be in the minority... and I very rarely play the victim as i really couldn't care what people think of me.

Its not them... most of them are nice don't get me wrong, just i talk to them and feel like we are worlds apart, nothing to relate to them about, I've always had this problem with students from elite universities, they have a lack of understanding for a lot of my morals.

so just to requote that for you... its not that they give a dam that i'm working class... its more I give a dam that they are middle-upper class.
      At the end of the day, you just have to acknowledge that you can't expect people to fully understand something that is out of their social experiences or knowledge. Unless someone's actually giving you grief about your background, does it actually matter at the end of the day?

From my own experiences at uni, I'd give the following advice. If the differences in background is not causing an actual problem (i.e. class wars, etc), let it go and stop letting this bug you so much. If people are making offensive comments or dissing your morals and offending you, maybe you need to politely explain to them that they're being offensive and what your life is like. I don't advise blowing up at people mid-conversation: it's just awkward for all concerned :yes:

ReputationRep:
      I am only 16 and you might say I come from a middle/upper class family.

My entire childhood I have had anything I have ever asked for, yet I have been instilled with stronger working class ethics that anyone else I have ever met.

All of my grandparents moved to England from India where they lived in poor village communities, as a result when they came to Britain, they worked for insanely long hours to send my parents (and in my dads case his brother) to university.

My dad unlike his brother was never very gifted, and never worked hard at school, but managed to get a place at university to do pharmacy and worked his way up from working 70-80 hours per week and now manages (doesn't own) a chain of 12 pharmacies, and a factory that manufactures different drugs all owned by his boss.

They only thing I have ever seen my parent spend a lot of money on is our house, and other than that they save every penny they have ever earned, and my parents friends that they spend the most time with are almost all working class, and they have drilled strong ethics and morals such as family over money into me.

Basically what I am trying to say is that you are right, there are a great many people like those who you mentioned, but there are many exceptions to this also, and that almost all people if you go back just a few generations were working class, its just some have forgotten their roots.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TJD)
      I am only 16 and you might say I come from a middle/upper class family.

My entire childhood I have had anything I have ever asked for, yet I have been instilled with stronger working class ethics that anyone else I have ever met.

All of my grandparents moved to England from India where they lived in poor village communities, as a result when they came to Britain, they worked for insanely long hours to send my parents (and in my dads case his brother) to university.

My dad unlike his brother was never very gifted, and never worked hard at school, but managed to get a place at university to do pharmacy and worked his way up from working 70-80 hours per week and now manages (doesn't own) a chain of 12 pharmacies, and a factory that manufactures different drugs all owned by his boss.

They only thing I have ever seen my parent spend a lot of money on is our house, and other than that they save every penny they have ever earned, and my parents friends that they spend the most time with are almost all working class, and they have drilled strong ethics and morals such as family over money into me.

Basically what I am trying to say is that you are right, there are a great many people like those who you mentioned, but there are many exceptions to this also, and that almost all people if you go back just a few generations were working class, its just some have forgotten their roots.
      exactly! its not about the money.... or what your wearing... its more about your family and enjoying the time you have on this earth. being kind to others when in need and sharing (take for example a working class man is far more likely to buy a pint for his mate, talk to new people and mix in there commuity). Goto to any council estate and even though its rough theres a massive sense of commuity.

ReputationRep:
      I can see a distance between me and university friends in terms of class / background. All of them come from fairly well off families and places. They have been quite suprised when I told them my location but we get on well in the end.

ReputationRep:
      Working class students get weeded out of university FACT. We working class students have most likely had to put up with alot of s**t and distractions through our teen years etc. We just want to relax and study, ultimately better ourselves! The posh types automatically look down on us as soon as we speak with a 'inity' type of accent. We dont judge them so why do they judge us? They feel threatened thats what it is in my opinion 'not in a physical way although it would be nice to hit some off them sometimes'! Threatened at the fact that we got to the same place as they are with nasty distractions/complications to contend with. We are strong minded people to get to uni without the bum wiping and security those poshies have had. Get your degree, get BETTER grades than those toffs and the world (hopefully) will be our oysters! Sorry really needed a rant.

ReputationRep:
      Hello all

I just wanted to know if there is anybody else in the world like me? I go to University of Edinburgh yet I come from a background of my dad being a lorry driver and my mum a stay at home mum, both installed very working class ethics in my (when I say working class I mean by morals and ethics; not money).

I'm 23 so a little older then the average student but after 2 years in this university its really started to drain me how snobbish a lot of people can be, thank god I'm married!! or I'll feel like a right loner.

anyone got any views on this?
      Well, you're 23 so a lot are younger than you. Middle class kids are some of the mose immature I have ever met and a pack of whingers (over absolutely nothing). I'd know, I grew up amongst them, and am one. But hey, you get good and bad, the class system is still imprinted on this generation's subconscious as much as older generations. Depite their denial of it.

Many have a very ignorant view about what a degree will do for them and how to make a career afterwards. Honestly, their time will come.

Just thankful you're in the small enlightened section of society that is now able to run rings around them.

ReputationRep:
      Class should NOT be an issue in university but sadly it definately is. I would still chill though, be comfortable with who you are as a person and ignore what you think or know other people mean!

ReputationRep:
      The posh kids generally don't go very far, in life. Stay well away from them unless you want to be held back. Also, Jack Willis clothing is infectious, so burn that **** on sight.

ReputationRep:
      >i have adhd and dyslexia
      oh boy, here we go

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.