Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you let someone down gently? Watch

Announcements

I'm not good at hurting people's feelings when it's necessary to do so, which is making this whole situation hard to bear:

A guy I met about 4 months ago is supposed to be coming to see me from the other end of the country quite soon. After we met at a party, we've had a casual thing due to distance between us, where its pretty open and there's not any expectations. I have visited him already, and he booked tickets about 2 months ago to come here and he seems really excited. However, in that time we didnt really speak as often as I'd have liked and I found the attraction starting to disappear, along with the fact that a long-term friend and I have grown closer. I now have quite strong feelings for him (the friend).

I feel it would be wrong now to have this other person stay when my heart is not in it anymore...it's with someone else.

How do I tell this person not to come here in the kindest way possible?

Also, would it be rude of me to insist on reimbursing him for the train ticket? I feel terrible about it...

ReputationRep:
    Well if your honest to him about how you are feeling now, its only fair to him. Maybe insist that if he wants to still come down that what you exactly want and it will be just as friends. However if you are not comfortable with him coming down then tell him this, obviously not in those exact words but in this situation honesty is going to be the best move, the longer you leave it the worse its going to be for him and yourself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.