Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking about going to college, but bad GCSE's? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'l be frank, I kind of fluffed up my GCSE's when I took them. This was about five years ago. I never considered retaking them or going to college, as no one at the school said anything to me about it or what I wanted to do until the week before I was due to leave.

Basically, no one made me consider college when I was at school, and I then left not knowing what I wanted to do with my life. I ended up working jobs for years, and I've finally decided I best get a college/uni education so I can have better career prospects, or an education.

My problem is the A-level courses I'm looking at require GCSE grades of C's or better and a B in English Language and literature. I don't think I met the required grades, or even did English Literature. When I took my GCSE's we just did one English exam and that was it.

what are my chances at higher education? Will I get in with most passes on GCSE's or not? Can I retake my GCSE's at college or is that not possible? Does the Open university take people without GCSE's, or am I screwed and will I have to work terrible jobs my entire life?

ReputationRep:
    You can retake your maths and english GCSE's at college, I'm not sure about science, but that would mean you'd have to stay for three years at college and do your GCSE's on the first year and on the second year (providing that you pass GCSEs) you can probably do your ASs.

ReputationRep:
    they charge **** loads of money

ReputationRep:
    For redoing GCSE's or just in general? As most higher education courses cost a fortune.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of mature students at my college who are doing GCSEs and then go on to do their A-levels.

Can we ask what your grades actually are?

ReputationRep:
    English - B
    Maths - C/D
    Sciences - D
    Design Technology - C
    Photography - B

A fair few blemishes unfortunately. Obviously lying isn't an option. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    Well you have four Gcse's in the bag and I don't think colleges require you to have english 'literature' I think you need to retake your sciences or take the easy route and do some quick and cheap NCFE course in a subject and get a level 2 equivalent to a GCSE, That's all based on if you have a C in maths, If not, then you should retake it and Science core at college while doing an AS level, negotiate, ask around and enquire at local colleges.

ReputationRep:
    You have the English basic requirement, so like everyon'es saying if your brush up on the Science and perhaps Maths if you need to you could look at the Access to HE Qualifications, that can lead you onto uni if you've had a break from A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a C or a D in maths? That seems to be the main issue; most courses require at least a C in maths as a rule.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a c, I honestly can't remember, I lost my exam pass sheets ages ago. So my chances might not be ****ed, thats good to know.

Open university doesn't require GCSE's passes though, does it? I had a look and saw no real mention for them on their most basic course. Or am I mistaken?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakmat)
    I think it is a c, I honestly can't remember, I lost my exam pass sheets ages ago. So my chances might not be ****ed, thats good to know.

Open university doesn't require GCSE's passes though, does it? I had a look and saw no real mention for them on their most basic course. Or am I mistaken?
    OU will let you study what you like, but that's not to say that they don't expect certain knowledge before starting.

If you want to brush up on your maths, there's a brilliant free resource at http://www.khanacademy.org/ that will take you from nothing to GCSE and beyond.

Sign up for an account and it will guide you through a course of videos (and online tests to monitor your progress) at http://www.khanacademy.org/login?con...rcisedashboard

It really is brilliant, you'll be up to scratch in no time!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I used to work at a college so I can give you some advice similar to what I used to give the lots of people who were in a similar position to you. If you do not have a Level 2 qualification (5x GCSE grades A*-C) which you don't as you only have 4, then you are entitled to take courses at those levels free of charge. It is a government initiative for people like yourself to get you in to the careers that you want. It might be worth getting prospectuses from local colleges (if you live east London way I can name some) so you can see the kinds of courses on offer. Don't jump at A-Levels because they won't guarantee you a job unless they are really finely tuned to the type of career you are interested in. They should, however, get you on to a degree. I'm going to put a link to a directgov website at the end of this so you can get an idea of the equivalent qualifications you could get. You could do a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) or something similar that could be more suited to your interests. What kind of careers are you interested in?

As for finances, if you are in receipt of most kinds of government benefit, provided you can show letter-type evidence of your getting them, then most places will give you some form of concession price. This can reduce what you pay quite considerably! The only thing you may not get a reduction on is the administration fee (there will be one!) and any materials if you did something with a practical aspect to it.

I really would recommend that you hunt down a local college, pop in whenever you're free and ask if you can have a chat with a Course Advisor. They will REALLY help you, I promise. Please don't get down about it! Good Luck!!! :-)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ed/DG_10039017

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help, it really is much appreciated. Truth is I don't know what I want to do for a career. I've often considered writing or games programming, but I think they're just pipe dream jobs. Once you graduate you'l struggle to find constant work in either industry, and may never have a full time job, instead doing contract work and travelling all over the country for it.

The idea of that puts me off, as I don't want to spend six odd years studying and getting in debt to struggle to find work to pay my debts. Has anyone else had the same issue? is it easy to find work once you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this because I still don't know what to do, and to be honest the whole new college and university fee's that have come into place have really put me off entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Mate you'd be better off taking a Level 3 BTEC national or do some Microsoft server course as in this current climate there are too many graduates looking for too little jobs, or do a daytime job and take a part time evening course at the SAE which do film, game, media and sound engineering courses at level 2, 3, 4 and they also have a after course job enrolment program.

Hope this helps!
    Jay.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.