The Student Room Group

MA in Philosophy - worthwhile?

Dear all, I am a postgraduate law student speculating whether I should pursue a career in "academic philosophy" and several major mental obstacles in relation to this matter have, as of late, been surfacing inside my mind over and over again.

The first query is that since I do not have an undergraduate degree majoring in philosophy, it is admittedly difficult for one to get into a MA in Philosophy
programme unless one can show that he or she possess a "considered interest" in the area and is able to demonstrate exceptional talent or quality in relation to the study of philosophy. Is it appropriate or suitable for
me to apply for a MA in Philosophy?

Secondly, I have concerns about the level of intellectual competence that one ?should? or ?must? possess in studying philosophy. Will the study be exceptionally difficult?

The third issue is that what are the steps that need to be taken in order to become an academic philosopher?

These concerns have led me to a crossroad and I would very appreciate for any assistance or directions.

I am especially interested in epistemology and philosophy of mind, and am considering applying to Warwick and the KCL.

Cheers everyone.
Hi there,

If you ask a mod to move this thread into the postgrad forum, you may get a few more helpful replies - the majority of people here are just looking for A-level philosophy help :smile:

ZarathustraX
Reply 2
Taranskyn
Dear all, I am a postgraduate law student speculating whether I should pursue a career in "academic philosophy" and several major mental obstacles in relation to this matter have, as of late, been surfacing inside my mind over and over again.

The first query is that since I do not have an undergraduate degree majoring in philosophy, it is admittedly difficult for one to get into a MA in Philosophy
programme unless one can show that he or she possess a "considered interest" in the area and is able to demonstrate exceptional talent or quality in relation to the study of philosophy. Is it appropriate or suitable for
me to apply for a MA in Philosophy?

Secondly, I have concerns about the level of intellectual competence that one ?should? or ?must? possess in studying philosophy. Will the study be exceptionally difficult?

The third issue is that what are the steps that need to be taken in order to become an academic philosopher?

These concerns have led me to a crossroad and I would very appreciate for any assistance or directions.

I am especially interested in epistemology and philosophy of mind, and am considering applying to Warwick and the KCL.

Cheers everyone.

I agree with Zara, I'm an undergraduate philosopher but I'm afraid that doesn't help a great deal with post graduate studies comparisons. Philosophy and Mind and Epistemology are probably the easier to get into from a non-philosophical background as opposed to say logic or metaphysics.

If you feel you are interested enough to do it then I don't see how its up to anybody to tell you whether its appropriate. It's a question for you ultimately.
The question for the university is whether you can demonstrate that enthusiasm and I'm afraid I can't answer that without further knowledge of your studies or interests.

"exceptionally difficult" will be realitve to your abilities. I've found philosophy can be more difficult than some think it will but that is not to say it's more difficult than you think. It's relative to expectation- most people have a low expectations for the academic requirements for philosophy. But without knowing your expectations its hard to say. Don't know that you'll find many people with experience of Philosophy AND another post grad- maybe a tutor is the person to talk to, perhaps at your old university?

"What are the steps that need to be taken?" I'm afraid I don't quite get you there... you need to like the subject and be good at it and study it. I'm not sure what else you mean.
Reply 3
Dear Calvin,

I got into a Ph.D. program in philosophy (U. of Nebraska) but dropped out. It just wasn't worth it. It may not be that way for you, but I wanted to write fiction, and I coudn't do both philosopy and fiction. Something had to go.

Is it worthwhile? if you want to teach college-level philosophy, yes; the MA is the right degree. And you don't have to be terribly smart to get into a graduate program, either (I knew some dim wits in the program). But as long as you have an interest in the subject, and persevere, you should do fine.

Also, the grad school life got a little boring; I'm so glad I'm out of it. Being in the academy was too structured, the air got stale, and I got tired of, well, graduate students. They can be seriously annoying: you have to develop a thick skin when you're around them (they love to hear themselves talk).

Epistemology and phil of mind are apparently hot fields. I was doing philosophy of religion but decided on writing stories about G-d instead. I found this very satisfying. I also don't teach; I park cars at a hotel.

You may get a lot out of the MA degree even if you don't end up teaching. Then again, you'll use those philosophical skills no matter what you do in life. So go for it; apply to those schools and see what happens.

best,

ltrain
Reply 4
Taranskyn

I started an MA in philosophy at LSE in October. My first degree was Mathematics and I have spent 6 years working in London before returning to study. I had no official experience of philosophy before I began the master's degree, although I had read very widely and knew that the subject matter interests me very much. Some of the courses I am taking are shared with students at Kings, so I know quite a lot about one of the courses you are looking at.

I can tell you that I have never been so happy as I am now and that I am enjoying life and study and philosophy very much. It has come very natural to me, and I have applied to do a Ph.D next year. This is the next step, after this I will apply for a lectureship to get into the academic world of philosophy. I am determined that I will do it.

I want to tell you that if it really is in your heart, you should know it, and follow it, and not worry about things like how difficult it is before you even start. In fact, it is a silly question to ask others how difficult the subject is. All that matters is (1) how good YOU are and (2) how motivated you are to succeed. There is only one person in the world that can answer those two questions, and it may be that you have to try some philosophy out in order to get the answers right.

It might work. It has for me. Im rapidly turning into a little philosophy professor and am very happy about it.

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending