Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is in the right forum, feel free to move it as required mods.

I applied for a job through Gumtree a few days ago, and received a very prompt reply from 'JD Acquisitions', a supposed marketing company. The email seemed a bit unprofessional, and slightly tacky. I've attached a screenshot of the first email. I decided to wait a wee while before I called back, but within about an hour of the email being sent, I received a call from the company asking me to come for an interview on Monday. She was repeatedly saying 'congratulations' and, I dunno, I can't pinpoint it but it seemed a bit dodgy. I then received another email confirming my interview, which I've again attached. I can't find any information about 'JD Acquisitions' - no website, no google results. But I have found several stories of marketing company scams which are really putting me off attending the interview. I've googled the administrative who called me and emailed me, and she's very pretty, I also managed to scope out the 'boss' of the company who is a good-looking, young male. I'm not exactly clued up on this stuff, so I'm hoping that someone can give me some sort of opinion on this?

Email 1:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Email 2:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    http://tomcat4.prospects.ac.uk:8080/...pic.php?t=6043 <- found this

ReputationRep:
    It's a company which does door-to-door sales and offers commission only.

I've had experience in coming across so many of these companies and with the similar style of copy.

ReputationRep:
    My ex did door to door sales on commission only for a while. It was for extra money whilst at college. He received no such extra money. Sounds fishy to me this company.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's a very common scam. Always annoys me when you go on job websites and they're clogged up with these muppets offering fake jobs.

ReputationRep:

Thanks. Think I'll give it a miss!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.