Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Urban Planning abroad.... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am really interested in Urban Planning but in the United States, urban planners are horribly underpaid. I think this is mostly due to the lack of attention in public spending on infrastructure and planning.

I hear though, that urban planners make a lot more in other countries. I hear China is blowing up right now and recruiting top talent from abroad! Is this true?

I know the recession cooled off a lot of urban planning jobs but I am sure it's recovering a bit and going strong in places less affected like Canada, Australia, China, New Zealand, etc.

I currently have an MSc in Environmental Science and Policy, would it be worthwhile to take an extra year and half to earn a Masters in Urban Planning?

Would it be more worthwhile to take the degree and leave the States for greener pastures?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    Would it be more worthwhile to take the degree and leave the States for greener pastures?
    Probably not. Even in Australia, Canada and New Zealand, I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the cash flow for many firms comes from abroad nowadays. China is big, and Africa will also be very big in the coming decade. In China, there’s a lot of work for private developers, but many of these projects don’t go through a transparent and competitive bidding process, so it can be hard (or easy) to get work depending on your network. For big government contracts you’re probably better off as either a local firm (who hires pretty much all locals because they are cheaper, skilled and speak the language) or big international firms (which are largely based in the US and Europe anyway). Same for Africa pretty much.

As for the usefulness of the degree, unless you have an engineering, surveying, or architecture degree, you probably won’t get a job as an urban planner if you don’t have an urban planning degree. So if you’re absolutely set about this type of work, you might as well do one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.