Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone taken a small job in a foreign country for a couple of weeks? Just to practise the language, get work experience, have fun, earn a bit...I'd like to do that, next summer, just go to Germany for a short while. But would anyone be interested in hiring a 17 year who speaks bad German (doing it for AS, getting speaking practise is my reason for going, otherwise I'd go to Holland), and would I need to get any sort of license? My dad said it's the EU so it'll be fine. The legal working age is lower than in England but at 17 it shouldn't be too much of a problem anyway.
    Would they be interested in hiring a foreign student, wouldn't they rather give the job to someone local, and how would I go about asking for a job?

Thank you so much if you reply to this and read it, I'm searching around the internet but it's a bit hard to find all the info. Oh and I'd stay in a hostel and stuff, so there's be a temporary address of some kind.

ReputationRep:
    ask in the german learners thread
    there are a couple of resident german(s)/ophiles

First thoughts would be that it would be better to get tuition from Goethe or something like that, as there is probably a chance that you might end up not getting a job in which you need to speak German. The kind of jobs your looking at, aswell, if they are not specially tailored to exchange students, may be populated by Turks speaking Turkish

may be wrong, though

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks for the idea. I'm looking into it.

Wow, just looked at the prices. Over 1000 euros! Maybe not afterall.
    But thanks anyway

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.