Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its funny how today, students are told at school...you must get top GCSEs,top A-levels etc to get into Uni, then at Uni your told - you must get at least a 2:1 etc to get a good job. I worked damn hard to get top A-levels, get a 2:1 and even did a masters degree in Accounting and Finance, and would you believe it, got the top mark on my course.

I now find myself working as a trainee tax accountant,..about to start ACA, and am wondering whether I should have taken that opportunity to do a PhD or not.

Is it that i am struggling in the transition to the real working world ( aka the office)?, that I dont like all the boring admin that im being made to do at work...I am a first year trainee after all...but I could have done this stuff at 18....let alone after a masters degree. Or is it that I am a true academic, and that thats where my strenghts lie.

Its funny how you think studying hard is the solution to getting you that job.....but how you can get lost on the way............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-know-it-all)
    Its funny how today, students are told at school...you must get top GCSEs,top A-levels etc to get into Uni, then at Uni your told - you must get at least a 2:1 etc to get a good job. I worked damn hard to get top A-levels, get a 2:1 and even did a masters degree in Accounting and Finance, and would you believe it, got the top mark on my course.

I now find myself working as a trainee tax accountant,..about to start ACA, and am wondering whether I should have taken that opportunity to do a PhD or not.

Is it that i am struggling in the transition to the real working world ( aka the office)?, that I dont like all the boring admin that im being made to do at work...I am a first year trainee after all...but I could have done this stuff at 18....let alone after a masters degree. Or is it that I am a true academic, and that thats where my strenghts lie.

Its funny how you think studying hard is the solution to getting you that job.....but how you can get lost on the way............
    Are you thinking you would enjoy doing a PHD more so than the job you are doing now? Besides isn't ACA another three years of exams or have you been exempt from so many exams?

ReputationRep:
    Im only exempt from one or two, as a masters despite being of a higher level than a bachelors degree, doesnt cover the same volume of material. (I did my undergrad in maths)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.