Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Box squat form critique (experts preferred) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here know much about box squats?? Seems technical as hell without much literature about them.

Anyways.... did em for the first time today... how'd they look.

60kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Inhmn4ZZg

120kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMUjRlI80Qo

Bad angles today... sorry

ReputationRep:
    Looks good. Make a big effort to force the knees out right when you are coming off the box.

ReputationRep:
    kl, Stance was quite wide as recommended by tate/simmons/WS in general

The thing I'm most confused about it getting off the box.... since your sat back you do nudge yourself forwards then up... or?

(Original post by burningnun)
    Looks good. Make a big effort to force the knees out right when you are coming off the box.

ReputationRep:
    You are doing it fine, except the knees which isn't really a problem as such, just a small thing that can be improved.

As for Westside's stance advice, this is their idea of "loose briefs".

ReputationRep:
    wtf is going on in the picture? And yep my knee's are buckling slightly esp in 120.... need to focus, but I find it harder with wider stance.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm don't think that someone who does olympic lifting should want to emulate a Westside box squat too much. I can't imagine the carry-over to the olympic squat or the olympic lifts to be particularly good, if it exists at all, and the ultra wide stance will destroy your hips. That's why Westside recommend "loose" briefs when performing them.

Different lift for different purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    wtf is going on in the picture? And yep my knee's are buckling slightly esp in 120.... need to focus, but I find it harder with wider stance.
    Three guys are putting Louie in his loose briefs.

Loose briefs are important for box squatting, and there is only one way to box squat (wide).

Here at Westside we have 5 1000 lb squatters, 12 800 lb bench pressers and 46 people who think the IPF is something to do with pandas.

ReputationRep:
    I decided Olympic lifting isn't for me.... too technical and squat cleans f0cked up my knee's.

Going back to WS4SB for powerlifting + plenty of bodybuilding thrown in.

Also tell me more about the hips, is that strain on abductors/hip flexors>

(Original post by Smack)
    I'm don't think that someone who does olympic lifting should want to emulate a Westside box squat too much. I can't imagine the carry-over to the olympic squat or the olympic lifts to be particularly good, if it exists at all, and the ultra wide stance will destroy your hips. That's why Westside recommend "loose" briefs when performing them.

Different lift for different purposes.

ReputationRep:
    What are briefs? Is it like a squat suit.

(Original post by burningnun)
    Three guys are putting Louie in his loose briefs.

Loose briefs are important for box squatting, and there is only one way to box squat (wide).

Here at Westside we have 5 1000 lb squatters, 12 800 lb bench pressers and 46 people who think the IPF is something to do with pandas.

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure which specific tissue the strain is on. Possibly something to do with the joint capsule itself even. The point is when you squat in a way that makes the hips the absolute focus, problems tend to arise unless you have something to protect them. There is nothing wrong with getting quad work from box squats.

ReputationRep:
    Essentially they are a squat suit without the straps. They usually have legs and the belt goes around them because they go up over the belly, but the tight parts are on the hips and sometimes legs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I defo wasn't firing correctly - quads wise, still getting to know the lift. Is it really that dangerous though? This is the first time I heard that briefs are a requirement. Tbh I just wanted to cycle a different type of squat before going back to olympic or low bar squat (3 weeks) Since I've just finished 3 weeks of fronties.

ReputationRep:
    DUDE i was joking. Briefs are only a requirement when you squat like they say.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7877659/

ReputationRep:
    ha I was bout to research it

ReputationRep:
    I decided Olympic lifting isn't for me.... too technical and squat cleans f0cked up my knee's.

Going back to WS4SB for powerlifting + plenty of bodybuilding thrown in.

Also tell me more about the hips, is that strain on abductors/hip flexors>
    How long did you try it for? The technical side of it's a *****, but once you get over that, it's so rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    No coach or flatform, limited training time, latent bodybuilding desires.. the list goes on.... tbh I'll still be developing oly strengths sure has hamstring, front squat, speed ect.. just not classic lifts.

tried it for about a month

(Original post by Supfresh.)
    How long did you try it for? The technical side of it's a *****, but once you get over that, it's so rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    No coach or flatform, limited training time, latent bodybuilding desires.. the list goes on.... tbh I'll still be developing oly strengths sure has hamstring, front squat, speed ect.. just not classic lifts.

tried it for about a month
    Ah fair enough, i understand then. I'd be lost without all my coaches tbh, can't imagine doing it a lone. Good luck, i'm sure you'll be able to pick it up at a more appropriate time in the future, and hopefully with a coach .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks..... it's always been my intention, will probs get down to a coach over summer if I'm unemployed lol

(Original post by Supfresh.)
    Ah fair enough, i understand then. I'd be lost without all my coaches tbh, can't imagine doing it a lone. Good luck, i'm sure you'll be able to pick it up at a more appropriate time in the future, and hopefully with a coach .

ReputationRep:
    Not the biggest fan of box squats

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.