Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As the title states, I've failed two tests, both this summer and I really have no motivation to start learning again. (I haven't driven at all since mid August). I have just been asked by my Mum whether she wants me to book up some lessons over Christmas. I meant to find a local school while I'm at uni, but I've been busy and more than a bit reluctant. As my parents paid for all of my lessons and test, I feel really ungrateful, but I've developed a bit of a phobia (I know, it's pathetic) about getting back being the wheel, and I'm so scared of failing again and wasting yet more of my parents' money. My older sister passed first time, so I always felt like I'd let my parents down, even though they said they were proud of me, anyway. I'm not sure what to do, I want to pass my test and get it over with so badly, yet I know that as soon as I get back in a car I'll probably start making all the stupid mistakes I made when I first started learning.

I don't really know what I'm asking, to be honest, advice on picking myself up after so long, similar experiences and the like.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ever heard of third time lucky?

Have a read through the failures thread and see how many people are failing their sixth test but not giving up and going on to pass. There's no shame to be had in failing your test twice. It isn't a competition, you just didn't get it right on the day, and as long as you come out the other end of it a safer driver, then it really doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
      You just described me exactly haha. I failed twice this summer and now I'm in uni too. I know what you mean about not wanting to waste anymore of your parents money but really it would be better to keep going now while it's still fresh even if it takes 10 more attempts, it's better than having spent all that money and got nothing out of it. I just don't have the time for it anymore.

ReputationRep:
      A good instructor will help you overcome your fear. Good luck

ReputationRep:
      7th time lucky for me ;-)

Don't give up hun!!!

ReputationRep:
      I failed twice too because of really petty things. I then passed with two minors (TWO) on my third try .

I think it is all down to the examiner you get on the day. The first time, I had an examiner who was being watched by someone in the back seat, so there was no way that he could be lenient in his marking. In the second test I failed within the first three seconds of leaving the car park as I turned out of the T junction on the wrong side of the road, following the two other learners in front of me, woops! My final examiner was lovely (and a woman - which may or may not of made a difference). She also examined my instructor when he took his test to be allowed to teach.

Just keep trying.

ReputationRep:
      I passed on my 6th attempt. Thy must keep trying!

ReputationRep:
      Can I ask, what did you fail on?

ReputationRep:
      I know how you feel. I've failed twice. I felt so awful after the second test and had no desire to bother continuing with lessons but now i've got my third test booked in for January and i'm raring to go. I don't know why but i'm brimming with confidence and really feel like i'll pass this one.
      Don't give up. You will pass one day.

ReputationRep:
      i passed on my 4th! after failing 3rd tiem i thought i'd never pass. but i did! so keep trying . just do it for the lulz even

ReputationRep:
      try another test centre

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
      Can I ask, what did you fail on?
      The first time, I messed up a reverse-around-the-corner I did it perfectly five minutes before the exam then completely ****ed it up halfway through. The second time I got two majors, one for pulling waya with the hand-break, so I knew I'd failed right off the bat, and the other for not observing enough while doing a three-point-turn :confused: I didn't really understand how I got it wrong, as I did it exactly the same as I'd always done, but I was too upset to question it.

ReputationRep:
      I have also failed twice. Not fun, but you just have to keep trying.

ReputationRep:
      Revise more, and then just have some confidence, answer every question. I wish you the best of luck

ReputationRep:
      I failed twice too before passing on the third attempt. My failures were basically due to doing silly things that I didn't normally do, and certainly wouldn't do now, as a result of nerves. I found that familiarity with the proceedings helped me focus by the third attempt and I focussed far better and had much more confidence and a better psychological approach.

Just bear in mind that it isn't the end of the world if you fail, concentrate hard and try again. You must be at about the required standard to have been entered already - remind yourself of that.

Also I'd be very surprised if you've forgotten everything - it will probably soon come back once you get on the road again.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
      Don't feel pressured into driving just for the sake of it. Do you actually have a car that's waiting for you? Do you have family members who are relying on you having a licence? If not, maybe driving is not for you.

Only put yourself through an ordeal if it's what you really want.

ReputationRep:
      I passed on my fourth attempt. Just keep going, if you give up you've definitely lost out more than if you keep trying!

Try a different test centre or a different instructor. There's nothing to be scared of. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Philbert)
      The first time, I messed up a reverse-around-the-corner I did it perfectly five minutes before the exam then completely ****ed it up halfway through. The second time I got two majors, one for pulling waya with the hand-break, so I knew I'd failed right off the bat, and the other for not observing enough while doing a three-point-turn :confused: I didn't really understand how I got it wrong, as I did it exactly the same as I'd always done, but I was too upset to question it.
      Hmm,

Not a good idea pulling away with the handbrake on... As far as the observations go, the critical issue is checking down the right hand side of the car, forward, door mirror and over the right shoulder before crossing the road on the first leg. This is the time when you are putting yourself in harm's way so checking is absolutely essential. The other thing that it could be is if another road user (car, bike, pedestrian etc) has appeared and you haven't seen or reacted to them. You just need to bear those things in mind for next time.

Best Wishes

Emma

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.