Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many of you eat food that isn't yours? And be HONEST! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm just wondering how many of you do this. And why? We're all in the same boat, we all have to budget for food, why do you think it's okay to eat other people's stuff?

I'm ****ing sick and tired of going to the fridge and finding that half my bacon is missing, that someone's eaten the rest of my cheese slices and left the empty packet in the fridge, that my milk is empty and someone has dared to open my goats cheese.

I've tried labelling thing, putting my name on. Writting notes saying I've sneezed over the slice of pizza that I put in there for later etc. I've tried leaving it without labels to see if it changes things, and things still disappear. Of course, nobody will own up to it.

Obviously I keep the best things in my room, like crisps, cereal, and chocolate. And anything that doesn't need to be in the fridge/freezer really.

Seriously, what will it take for people to stop helping themselves to my food?!

ReputationRep:
    We have fridges in our room, and no storage cupboards... so generally there's nothing to steal.

If there was, I probably would, though.

ReputationRep:
    I nicked a little bit of someones milk the other day...

I'm very sorry, I don't like black coffee. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I am so glad I am not still in halls. I never touched anyone else's food (except when I threw it in the bin for being mouldy and making the most foul smell ever..) but mine got stolen every week, probably because I was the one that cooked the most and so had useful ingredients like vegetables, spices, oil, tinned tomatoes etc. Eventually I put everything that didn't need the fridge in my room. It got so irritating and I knew it wasn't just one person doing it too, it was everyone. Now I live with my boyfriend so it's all fine, but yeah halls stressed me out so much.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to have few scruples when drunk so if someone's silly enough to leave nice food like chocolate in their cupboard, I'll probably eat it... don't really care if people steal my food though, and have no qualms about replacing it.

ReputationRep:
    I used to use other peoples milk, but I always asked first. Although one time all my eggs were passed their sell-by date so I swapped the with the eggs of this evil chinese guy we had in our flat. Good times. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Try putting something tasty looking and tempting in your fridge and rub it down with raw chicken?

Doubt they'll be stealing anything after that.

ReputationRep:
    We all keep snacky stuff in our rooms (besides yoghurt pots and stuff that needs cooling). Though when we need something like when we're out of milk we just ask each other, people always say yes.

ReputationRep:
    Cause when you're hungry you think its faster than going to the store

ReputationRep:
    I have never and like to think I never would. I once stole a bit of milk though, which I still feel bad about, but I did mention it, he is a good friend and he had no problem with it. I tend to find that it's really rare people steal my stuff here. Someone keeps on using my baking tray and getting it really dirty and greasy and not washing it which really annoys me. I, like pretty much everyone else on this thread, have opted to keep everything I can in my room for this reason though.

ReputationRep:
    Milk is the one thing I can sort of understand. But nobody ever asks if they can have some, never replaces it, never says they had any.

I've suggested loads of times that we take turns in buying things like toilet rolls, milk, washing up liquid, or everyone chipping in each week but no-one is interested.

(Original post by lolololol)
    I am so glad I am not still in halls. I never touched anyone else's food (except when I threw it in the bin for being mouldy and making the most foul smell ever..) but mine got stolen every week, probably because I was the one that cooked the most and so had useful ingredients like vegetables, spices, oil, tinned tomatoes etc. Eventually I put everything that didn't need the fridge in my room. It got so irritating and I knew it wasn't just one person doing it too, it was everyone. Now I live with my boyfriend so it's all fine, but yeah halls stressed me out so much.
    That's pretty much how it is for me now, apart from I kept all my tinned stuff in a trunk in my room from the first day.

I just don't get it, I wouldn't dream of eating anyone else's stuff. I really don't know why they think it's okay. It really, really makes me angry.

ReputationRep:
    Eating peoples food is so brazen, what makes someone think that it's acceptable to eat someone else's dinner, you'd get over a drop of milk but not a pint of milk or a pizza ffs. Either rob their food or say it to them to stop?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's wrong and people who steal other peoples food in shared facilities have no morals.

It's sad how being a thief has been normalised.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not of an age to go to university yet, but I wouldn't steal food.
    If you're not allowed fridges in your room, couldn't you have a cool bag, and a load of ice blocks? Then you could freeze the ice blocks in the communal freezer and have a rotating system when you swap them over with the ones in the cool bag once they defrost... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'd never eat anyone else's food, it's so rude =/ One of my flatmates used to always drink my alcohol...every Sunday without fail I'd get back to uni and it'd be gone, but it would be replaced by Monday afternoon without me even needing to ask (and he'd often get me an extra can or something too) so that was totally fine. Thankfully I never had any problems with people stealing and not owning up/replacing it.

Definitely go with laxatives in your food - at least you'll know who it is then ;D

Perhaps it's worth getting a mini fridge for your room? Most unis don't allow it but everyone I know who had one got away with it easily. If you were any closer I'd give you my old one, it hasn't been used for a year and I'm just too lazy to sell it. Haha.

Never steal anyones food. And if I do I ask 1st. Its just wrong and I hope my other flat mates do the same. I've never noticed any food missing.

Sakura, keep as much food as you can in your room. It reduces the chances of it missing and at the same time says a big **** you to your flatmates

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by [sophie])
      I'm not of an age to go to university yet, but I wouldn't steal food.
      If you're not allowed fridges in your room, couldn't you have a cool bag, and a load of ice blocks? Then you could freeze the ice blocks in the communal freezer and have a rotating system when you swap them over with the ones in the cool bag once they defrost... :dontknow:
      That's actually a really good idea, I've never heard someone consider that before

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Loz17)
      Sakura, keep as much food as you can in your room. It reduces the chances of it missing and at the same time says a big **** you to your flatmates
      I already have everything that doesn't need to be in the fridge in my room.

It's just the fridge-y things that are the problem

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kate.)
      Perhaps it's worth getting a mini fridge for your room? Most unis don't allow it but everyone I know who had one got away with it easily. If you were any closer I'd give you my old one, it hasn't been used for a year and I'm just too lazy to sell it. Haha.
      I just sent my mum a text about this, I'm pretty sure she'd be willing to buy me one.

It's just hiding it, and how much power it'll use, because I'm sure I've heard someone say they use quite a bit. Where I live, each flat has a meter room, and if it does use a lot of electric I don't want the house manager snooping around.

ReputationRep:
      Well, I dont. Yuck.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.