Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the language basics you need to get by in a foregin country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

So I'm going on a mini round half the world trip, and the only language I can speak decently is French. Obviously I won't have time to get remotely fluent in the 6 other languages I'll come accross.

So I was wondering, what are the basics you need to know to get by? Vocab wise, phrases, grammar etc. So I can just about survive in the country for a few weeks, possibly more.

Thanks

BTW languages will be:

German, Spanish, Italian, Finnish, Greek, Swedish.

ReputationRep:
    Would go with the obvious things like hello, goodbye, please, thank you, excuse me could you tell me where x is.
    German it's quite essential to make sure you know the difference between Du and Sie and when to use both terms just so people don't get nasty and think you're impolite. Would imagine the same with French.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you know English is a world language and most people can speak it as their second language?

ReputationRep:
    As said above, I would learn the basics- hello, goodbye, please and thank you.
    Also it might be worth learning 'do you speak english' as this will make conversation a lot easier if people can speak English pretty well.
    Plus also essential words like 'doctor', 'hospital' 'pharmacy' would be ideal to learn in case of emergencies.
    Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Basic polite stuff as the above people said.
    Emergency vocab, ie it hurts here and there, like on another thread how to say your drink has been spiked etc.
    Be able to ask for and understand directions as well as ask for needed stuff such as food, water, hotels, buses etc.

Everything should be in a pocket dictionary you'd keep around so I think you should have a look at basic grammar instead, like being able to say "I am looking for the bus station" would be better than "bus, please?" I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, goodbye, please, thank you, yes no, I don't know etc. for greetings and small talk
    How to ask for directions: where is? left, right, street, first, second, turn etc.
    Emergency phrases: Help, I need, hopital, it hurts, I've lost etc.
    General everday phrases like: Can I have? I need to go to, excuse me etc.

You don't need Swedish, like 80% of them speak English.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.