Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quick Normal Distribution Question [+rep] Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've got normal distribution, mean=1, variance=16 and trying to find P(X>-1.04). I've looked up what it should be by using online normal distribution calculators but keep getting the wrong answers. Can anyone help? +rep for help

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Have you double checked you're using the right table?
    Sounds daft, but a lot of the time when I got it wrong it's because the table was for values above instead of below etc.
    Also - are you just using the variance value? Standard deviation is the square root of variance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetfloss)
    Have you double checked you're using the right table?
    Sounds daft, but a lot of the time when I got it wrong it's because the table was for values above instead of below etc.
    Also - are you just using the variance value? Standard deviation is the square root of variance.
    Thanks, I've been manipulating it to suit the particular table I'm using, and I am using the sd rather than the variance. Since you're 4th year maths, do I need to standardise before applying rules of symmetry or can I manipulate first and then standardise? My impression is it doesn't make a difference but I was only taught it 24 hours ago..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerApple)
    Thanks, I've been manipulating it to suit the particular table I'm using, and I am using the sd rather than the variance. Since you're 4th year maths, do I need to standardise before applying rules of symmetry or can I manipulate first and then standardise? My impression is it doesn't make a difference but I was only taught it 24 hours ago..
    Shouldn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetfloss)
    Shouldn't matter.
    If you say P(x>-1.04)=1-P(x<-1.04)=P(x<1.04)=P(z<0.01) or P(x>-1.04)=P(z>-0.51)=1-P(z<-0.51)=P(z<0.51) it does make a difference, doesn't it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.