Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys am bit worried

I was doing 70 mph on a 50 mph road off the motorway.

I jus didn't realise...use this motorway gazzilion times lol

The camera was a yellow one but did not flash at all...does that mean I got away with it?

Thank you for your help, time.

ReputationRep:
    Not all yellow cameras flash, it's mostly the older, bulkier ones that do. (And even a flash doesn't mean you've been done - it might not have film.)

Just have to wait a fortnight and see if anything drops through the door. If after 14 days + ~2 nothing has come you've got away with it.

ReputationRep:
    Cross your fingers

ReputationRep:
    I've read about a loophole of changing lanes during the flashes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    For the old-style ones, with road markings, I suppose that may make calculating your speed to any accuracy a bit more difficult (although for massive speeding it would make no difference, and actually if you were travelling in a diagonal direction then, by vectors, your speed would actually be greater than the velocity the road markings lead the ticket office to believe). And as the camera flashes are normally 0.7 seconds apart I'm not sure that's enough time to change lanes safely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    Could you pls share these loop holes lol

It was a gatso camera and didn't flash- may be it was out of film or something!

ReputationRep:
    I once was driving 65mph on a 40 right off a motorway near andover and a policeman with a speedcamera waved at me furiously. I never got a fine though, probably because he didn't have time to get my numberplate!

ReputationRep:
    Gatso's flash and are yellow and big boxed shape - they usually give you 10%+2mph. However certain areas have speed clamp downs and go strict. North Wales police often set them at 32mph.

Truvelo's are infrared and get you on coming. They do not flash and you are normally caught before you notice them at night.

SPECs are the yellow cameras on motorways. Tall branched looking ones that calculate your average speed over a set distance. They usually have an allowance of upto 10mph on motorways and prosecution often starts at an average speed of 61mph. Thats why you'll see people speeding up and down through them and changing lanes to beat them and they have come under a lot of criticism and were said to be being replaced with a new German camera.

Peek speed cameras - sited at the road side, Peek speed cameras use loops in the road to trigger when a speed limit is exceeded. Often will do you for being slightly over the limit. The same as a Gatso it is usually yellow and flashes and is rear facing.

If there was one camera on the motorway then I would guess its a gatso placed at the side, either on a mobile platform or fixed. If it didn't flash then it didn't get you and may be broken.

If it was facing you then its more than likely a Truvelo and has got you as they don't flash and work on infrared.

If it was SPECS then you would have needed to go past 2 for it to calculate your speed and nail you for speeding and as you have only mentioned 1 then I can cut the SPEC's camera out.

ReputationRep:
    If it was one of these (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tso_Camera.jpg), it would have flashed, and can only catch you as you drive away from it. It takes a photo of the back of your car.

If it was one of these (http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/22848/camera-L.jpg), it would have been an infra-red flash, which you can't see. It takes a photo of the front of your car as you drive towards it.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a GATSO and it didn't flash then you shouldn't be fined. Your speedometer may have been over-reading a bit, plus there is some tolerance with regard to the firing threshold, though I'd have thought 70mph in a 50mph limit on the speedo would be high enough to trigger it.

I guess you'll just have to wait 14 days and hope nothing comes in the post.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys for your help

It was a gatso camera...fingers crossed!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.