Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why? I always figured its because sport is full of aggression, that sheer competitiveness to strive to be the best or win a few extra yards and pure physical endeavour which just isn't part of many a woman's make up. They're more into nurturing and caring

I realize there are women athletes and fans but they are in such a minority, e.g. at my gym there was one woman there today and about 15 guys, at my boxing club they have 3 girls on their cards, rest are guys, every time I go to old trafford women probably compromise of about 1% of the people sat around me. In America for every one woman who watches sport there are 3 men etc etc

Why is this? Is what I think right?

I wanna hear from some girls (and guys, don't worry your opinion counts too)

Also does this have any implications? e.g. why they're under represented in business etc

ReputationRep:
    Because its hard to play football and make sandwiches at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    We're too weak for it. Our ankles might collapse.

ReputationRep:
    Lack of female role models, progression in the sport, funding, sponsors and the general view that female athletes are masculine iron-boards. A lot of girls also worry about losing their tits for some reason. I guess that's why diet pills are so popular. And the ones that do take part in sports stick to martial arts (rape/assault fears) or "feminine" sports like netball, gymnastics, horse-riding where there is a distinct lack of male interest.

I play badminton (which I'm starting to hate actually ) and Krav Maga and it's always teeming with females. I'm looking forward to seeing all the newcomers in January. They never last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellybee)

(Original post by missygeorgia)
    We're too weak for it. Our ankles might collapse.

no need to be fatuous considering its true for the vast majority of women

ReputationRep:
    finally a girl with a bit of banter!

ReputationRep:
    Theyre too busy washing my goddam dishes. (hey the two girls above me tried it, i thought id give it a go too lol)

DISCLAMER: Lewroll does not in any way condone sexist, racist or homophobic behaviour. Unless its funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gandalf_is_a_girl)
    I play badminton (which I'm starting to hate actually ) and Krav Maga and it's always teeming with females. I'm looking forward to seeing all the newcomers in January. They never last.
    :eek:

Kick ass. :five:

ReputationRep:
    I love sport...
    It just depends i think...
    There's plenty of guys who don't like sport either. Probably a 35% of the guys in my school year did not.
    And i'd say about 50% of girls. (We had 4 girl groups, top 2 groups took sport seriously, bottom two didn't and hated it)
    So not that much difference...

ReputationRep:
    I broke a nail playing basketball once.
    I was bedridden for weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gandalf_is_a_girl)
    Lack of female role models, progression in the sport, funding, sponsors and the general view that female athletes are masculine iron-boards. A lot of girls also worry about losing their tits for some reason. I guess that's why diet pills are so popular. And the ones that do take part in sports stick to martial arts (rape/assault fears) or "feminine" sports like netball, gymnastics, horse-riding where there is a distinct lack of male interest.

How do you find Krav Maga?
    Im really looking at learning it, it looks awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    finally a girl with a bit of banter!
    Finally a guy that used the word 'banter'!

ReputationRep:
    Not all men like sport.
    Everyone's different.

ReputationRep:
    I play tons of sport and in every one I'm outnumbered by at least 3-1 guys to girls. Hardly any of my college friends do any sport, they say they just 'don't like it'. I love it so who knows tbh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    no need to be fatuous considering its true for the vast majority of women
    I'm only kidding, I dont play sports because there just isnt enough room in the kitchen.
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    The points that Gandalf_is_a_girl said are very true, about funding and a lack of role models. I also think your upbringing has something to do with it. I love football because I was brought up supporting my local team but I guess more lads get involved with it themselves at school etc. Also, the culture around sport, in terms of going to the pub for a few pints, watching a game on a Saturday etc. and your friends hobbies rub off on you.

ReputationRep:
    Because this happens...

:mmm:

Though to be fair, the girls at my Aikido classes are actually kick ass.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only kidding, I dont play sports because there just isnt enough room in the kitchen.
    :cool:
    I skip in my kitchen, poor excuse :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    It's just dire and pointless.

No reason why, as such, I just have no interest in it.

Take football - what is it? It's men running around a pitch trying to get a ball in a net. Why? How could watching 90 mins of that be interesting?

I like individual sports, like track and swimming, but team sports are boringggggg.
    I know what you mean. I used to run around trying to get my balls into holes as well, but then i realised no one was interested in playing with me.Now i just play with myself.

ReputationRep:
    I hate watching sports (dull) but enjoy taking part in adrenaline sports, mountain biking is my main love. I don't understand why I don't see many other girls riding when I'm out and about in the woods.

I think there is something to be said for male psychology in that they are more prone to risk taking, but...at the same time I've seen many females with the right attitude for sports yet they don't find it interesting. What gives.

Sorry, no answers from me, just empathising with the OP.

(Original post by doodle7)
    The points that Gandalf_is_a_girl said are very true, about funding and a lack of role models. I also think your upbringing has something to do with it. I love football because I was brought up supporting my local team but I guess more lads get involved with it themselves at school etc. Also, the culture around sport, in terms of going to the pub for a few pints, watching a game on a Saturday etc. and your friends hobbies rub off on you.
    Very very true. Most women I see in the sports I've enjoyed in the past have grown up around sporty brothers or open minded parents who encouraged them to try everything regardless of whether it was typically feminine or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.