Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you lift alone or with a spotter? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i need to start doing weight lifting as my upper body strength is embaressingly bad but i have no one to go with.

For stuff like Bench press is it normal to do it without a spotter or not?

I've been told i need a spotter but other people have then said that they've never used one so i thought i'd get TSR's opnion on this...

Also, having to use an olympic bar at 20kg is going to be embaressing because there will be barely any weight either side during my bench presses...

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about starting on a low weight, just ask people at the gym to spot you.

ReputationRep:
    Squat, deadlift, rows etc with no spotter. For bench if I feel I need one then I ask an instructor or someone else there to spot for me.

ReputationRep:
    For bench and squats, because my gym is awful and only has squat stands without the bar catchers.

ReputationRep:
    I lift alone.

Mainly because I go at 7am when there's only people lifting before work and no hardcore lifters. :p:

I usually lift alone but occasionally for bench I might ask someone to spot me but it usually does depend on the type of people at the gym. I remember a few weeks ago, I was benching and I wasn't even struggling with the weight so I took the weight back up and out of no where some guy just took the weight from me and almost messed up my shoulder in the process. I wasn't really expecting it. Anyway I also learnt how to roll the weight off my hips if I ever get stuck while benching and that's also been a massive confidence booster.

Don't worry about only having to use the bar. I started with just the bar for most of my lifts and yes I know I'm a girl and it's not really comparable but it's better to leave your ego at the door and start light than to worry about being embarassed and starting heavy while risking injury.

You haven't mentioned lower body, are you only planning on doing the bench press and nothing more?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheWaterfield)
      Can't you just drop it..? (for squats). John Broz is firmly against spotters, all his replies in the videos links are just "Shouldn't you be spotted?"..."Well, he asked for a spot, so I pointed to the floor and I said there it is".

No experience of this myself though.
      Obviously, but then there's the whole thing of breaking stuff, hitting people etc.

ReputationRep:
      I dont bench, and even when I did I didnt use a spotter. Beyond that I dont see why I would need one, I high bar squat on a platform, its easier and safer to just dump the bar

ReputationRep:
      Was it just me who thought this thread was about theft?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sleekchic)
      Don't worry about only having to use the bar. I started with just the bar for most of my lifts and yes I know I'm a girl and it's not really comparable but it's better to leave your ego at the door and start light than to worry about being embarassed and starting heavy while risking injury.

You haven't mentioned lower body, are you only planning on doing the bench press and nothing more?
      Nah, i am planning on other ones but Bench was the only one i was "worried" about...

I'm just going to start very light i reckon and then raise the weight slowly and stop when i still have some in reserves if there's no one around to spot.

ReputationRep:
      I always get a lift off from somewhere

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MHorman)
      Basically, i need to start doing weight lifting as my upper body strength is embaressingly bad but i have no one to go with.

I've been told i need a spotter but other people have then said that they've never used one so i thought i'd get TSR's opnion on this...

Also, having to use an olympic bar at 20kg is going to be embaressing because there will be barely any weight either side during my bench presses...
      I don't have a spotter 90% of the time. You get to know your limits as you get more experienced. Nobody cares if you're weak.

ReputationRep:
      I just don't bench. No problem.

ReputationRep:
      Can't you just drop it..? (for squats). John Broz is firmly against spotters, all his replies in the videos links are just "Shouldn't you be spotted?"..."Well, he asked for a spot, so I pointed to the floor and I said there it is".

No experience of this myself though.
      Yeah...the problem with bench is, your head/legs are between you and that helpful spotter known as the 'floor' and I certainly cant throw my bench 2 feet if I struggle with it :P

I just drop it to my hips and go from there.

ReputationRep:
      I lift alone. The bench I use has bar catchers.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MHorman)

I started on less than 20kg. Its rare to just walk into the gym and be able to bench 50-60kg unless your naturally built. You should have a spotter especially if you are new to it, incase you burn out and drop it

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't bother with a spotter unless you're lifting really heavy weights. personally, i always found it a bit creepy having someone watch me exercise lol

ReputationRep:
      I chestpress with dumbbells instead so If I can't push out another rep at the botto I can put them down.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for the advice,

I went today and after doing other exercises first because the bench was being used, chin ups/pull ups/dips/pull downs etc, i got to the bench and there was no one around so i just started light and didn't use a spotter. It wasn't too bad.

If there was someone to spot then i suppose i could have lifted slightly heavier or another rep or two with the knowledge they could stop it if needed but i was fine without. If i was to go for a new 1RM or something then i would ask someone but i got on fine without. Embaressingly low weights though, especially when trying to use a 20kg bar...

ReputationRep:
      I did specifically say for squats you know.

For bench if your gym is completely empty and you want to push yourself, just don't collar and tips the weights off, obviously it has a weight limit but you know what I mean.
      I'd eb surprised if any of the ********s at my gym would be able to notice somebody in trouble.

Bunch of useless *****.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.