Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all
    I have an essay question title which requires me to discuss, 'yay'.

At A-Level I was always told to stay away from asking questions within the essay. But to introduce my areas of discussion, I want to ask 'mini' questions in order to answer the question itself.

I am a first year student and this is for an essay question in public law.

Any advice?!

ReputationRep:
    This is really a style thing, so ultimately it's up to you, it's quite nice to experiment with your own written style as you settle in to university (though if it's an assessed essay which counts towards your grade then definitely ask your course tutor for advice). However, personally I feel that direct questions in the text of the essay can seem a little artificial. So instead I'd suggest putting it as an indirect question, for example: I will be examining whether X is currently a strong factor in judicial review, and whether it would be appropriate to change the law so that more weight was placed on it. Something like that. You could maybe use the direct questions as sub-headings in the essay - that might work quite well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haaaza23)
    Hey all
    I have an essay question title which requires me to discuss, 'yay'.

At A-Level I was always told to stay away from asking questions within the essay. But to introduce my areas of discussion, I want to ask 'mini' questions in order to answer the question itself.

I am a first year student and this is for an essay question in public law.

Any advice?!
    I think most academics would lynch you for putting some questions in - as long as you answer them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riggers)
    I think most academics would lynch you for putting some questions in - as long as you answer them
    Oh dear haha. Well it's just, in my recent Law essay I got a 2:1 in 'style' and I'm just wondering how I could improve on that.

ReputationRep:
    Can you give an example?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but it sounds like you might not be answering the question - it sounds like you might be trying to alter/expand the question, when really you should be answering it.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, as long as you're doing it in reference to the q.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.