Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Demerit goods, negative externalities, and social costs
    Hi guys I am really confused about these terms, they are all similar and I just seem to get mixed up! If someone could explain them to me I would be truely greatful

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonana567)
    Hi guys I am really confused about these terms, they are all similar and I just seem to get mixed up! If someone could explain them to me I would be truely greatful

Thanks!
    demerit good - goods that are overproduced and overconsumed due to the fact people are not fully aware of the costs/negative impact associated with producing and consuming the product - result of information failure

negative externality - cost imposed on a third party as a result of an economic activity. Not reflected in market price ie participant in economic activity does not pay for this cost

social cost - cost imposed on the whole of society resulting from an economic activity. If social cost is different to private cost of the activity, a negative production externality is present

sorry if being tooo simplistic MOTD is about to start!!!!

ReputationRep:
    The size of the negative externality is the difference between private costs and social costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonana567)
    Hi guys I am really confused about these terms, they are all similar and I just seem to get mixed up! If someone could explain them to me I would be truely grateful (sp)

Thanks!
    An externality occurs when an innocent third party is affected by an economic decision - such as the production/consumption of goods.

A negative externality exists when that person, who never should have been involved, is affected in a bad way - for example if your flat mate at uni played really loud music way past bed time and you couldn't sleep because of it. A really beautiful garden could cause positive externalities if people are really happy when they pass by and see it But what one person might find beautiful, others may not, so externalities are hard to quantify.

Demerit goods are goods that society would generally view as bad due to its effects on society, such as smoking. They are often over consumed as people do not fully realise the costs of the action, or ignore them (people know smoking "kills" yet they do it anyway.) Demerit goods often cause negative externalities when consumed (think of passive smoking). The opposite of merit goods. Most people would say education is "good" as smoking is "bad".

Whilst a negative externality is bad because others (not the consumer) are affected, demerit goods are viewed as bad because of the negative effects to the consumer himself. Smoking is "bad" because the smoker essentially suffers. Just so happens negative externalities can be produced.

Social cost = private costs + external costs.
    It is basically the total cost to society - which is also hard to quantify. The thing that makes social cost different to private cost is the existence of externalities.

(Original post by therealOG)
    If social cost is different to private cost of the activity, a negative or positive externality is present.

Further reading if you're still stuck, OP:
    http://www.frbsf.org/education/activ...2002/0211.html
    http://tutor2u.net/economics/content...ernalities.htm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.