Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This has been bugging me for a while now.

Basically, I am about to finish my Undergraduate Masters in Chemistry then go on to do a Chemical Engineering Postgraduate Masters at an accredited university such as UCL.

Firstly, what does it ACTUALLY mean to be accredited bearing in mind I am probably going to work in the chemical (engineering) industry after this.

Secondly, I know that because I am not coming from a Chemical Engineering background, I will be assessed on an individual basis by the chemical engineering council on whether I will be accredited or not. Does anyone know what my chances of getting accredited are? I sent an email just now to IchemE but I am not too hopeful in getting a straight answer out of them.

Thirdly, If I am not accredited, what will the impact on me be?

Moving to study in London is going to take a chunk out of my finances. I don't want to end up with a crap job/future...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Accreditation from a professional body in your field is very useful down the line. They tend to demonstrate a commitment to continuing personal and professional development - this is true across the logistics and engineering world I'm familiar with.
    The area you want to work in will probably be filled with Chemistry grads - how would you show you are more professional and better than your peers? Accreditation with a relevant institute does that. Great for networking as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidin)

Basically, I am about to finish my Undergraduate Masters in Chemistry then go on to do a Chemical Engineering Postgraduate Masters at an accredited university such as UCL.

Firstly, what does it ACTUALLY mean to be accredited bearing in mind I am probably going to work in the chemical (engineering) industry after this.

Secondly, I know that because I am not coming from a Chemical Engineering background, I will be assessed on an individual basis by the chemical engineering council on whether I will be accredited or not. Does anyone know what my chances of getting accredited are? I sent an email just now to IchemE but I am not too hopeful in getting a straight answer out of them.

Moving to study in London is going to take a chunk out of my finances. I don't want to end up with a crap job/future...
    I am in EXACTLY the same position as you. Please PM me so we can talk.

I plan to do a PhD/EngD after my MSc in Chemical Engineering...I come from a BSc Chemistry background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidin)

(Original post by Inkerman)
    I am in EXACTLY the same position as you. Please PM me so we can talk.

I plan to do a PhD/EngD after my MSc in Chemical Engineering...I come from a BSc Chemistry background.
    BUMP!

Hi guys,

Have either of you gotten any further with finding a resolution to this query? I'm in a very similar situation myself, except my undergraduate degree is a new type of natural sciences degree at Leicester: it's entirely 'problem-based-learning' and research-led, and designed to tackled interdisciplinary applied science problems. As well as the problem solving end-of-module assignments, we cover core content in physics and chemistry, with a lesser degree of bio and some geology, and you really do start understanding the same physical phenomena from each perspective. We do several hours of wet chem and phys labs each week (apparently more than phys and chem straight grads), have our own department and cover the same core maths content as the physics undergrad students.

Anyway, I'm extremely interested in pursuing an accredited MSc in Chem Eng when I graduate, as it seems to combine all the best parts of my degree (not as enamoured with the bio and organic chem aspects of the degree, but love phys, physical chem, inorganic chem, problems etc) but have been having difficulty obtaining info on what my prospects are prior to emailing the departments of the MSc's I'm interested in.

Sorry for the long email, just though I should give as much info as possible, in the hope that, if either of you did figure something out, you could get back to me with relevant info!

Thanks,
    Lee.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lee,

Well I still don't have a definite answer, I emailed the IChemE people and got this reply:

Therefore, before you can apply for Chartered status you will be required to have the details of your qualifications assessed in order to establish whether you meet the academic requirement for chartership and to determine your route into chartership.

This is done by submission of the Education Summary Form (Form E) together with details of all of your qualifications. Candidates experience is also into consideration therefore we usually suggest candidates have this assessment once they have completed their chosen postgraduate qualifications and gained some relevant experience.

Please note, we do have a high volume of candidates who do not have IChemE accredited undergraduate qualifications achieving Chartered status by demonstrating that they meet the academic requirements via their postgraduate qualifications and work experience.
    Which was annoying as I knew this is what I would have to do anyway :/. But it did say that many people do succeed in getting accreditation without the necessary undergraduate course.

I have applied for Leeds and have been given an offer for chemical engineering. I'm just going to do it and if I like it I'm going down the EngD route which will make accreditation easier.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.