Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your opinion on new book reader technology like the Kindle? Watch

ReputationRep:
    More and more devices like the Kindle are being produced each year. What do you think about this device? Do you prefer to have a device that lets you take your books everywhere with you or would you rather be experiencing a book the traditional way? Also, do you believe they will have a negative impact on communities like the shutting down of public libraries in the future?

ReputationRep:
    books are to be read, not read to you!

ReputationRep:
    Books are better.

ReputationRep:
    I tried out the kindle app on my iPhone and I felt like a **** reading a book on a phone, I'd feel the same if I had an iPad or the actual Kindle thing.

I prefer the good old book, it feels more right to hold and read.

ReputationRep:
    I was given a kindle for my birthday - it is useful, I can take it with me when I go home at weekends or somewhere I'm expecting to wait around for a while, plus I can buy cheap/free books that I wouldn't otherwise. But at the same time, I still read paper books. Both have their place.

ReputationRep:
    Could be useful for going on a long trip, and being able to take the reader rather than a heavy bag of books. The trouble is you'd always have to pay for books as you can't really borrow an e-book from a library (unless you go the illegal route of course )!

My friend has one and it's surprisingly nice to read, very much like a book's pages, but I still prefer to hold an actual book in my hands!

ReputationRep:
    I have an iPad. But I do never use the iBooks application save for PDF files downloaded from the internet...
    Books are so much better imo.

It depends tbh. If I am travelling and I want to take a lot of books with me, I obviously don't have that much space and weight to carry, so the kindle is the ideal option. Moreover, it is possible that I may use The Kindle at home since e-books are cheaper, and it could save me space.

But once in a while I would like to read a paperback or a hardback when I am at home, because it doesn't really provide that feel of a real book.

ReputationRep:
      Total rubbish, I love my gadgets. Books should be paper

ReputationRep:
      I prefer having the book in my hand but I can see why people would like the Kindle - especially for holidays. I don't think libraries will shut because you have to buy books on Kindle don't you? I dunno but research and non-fiction books are still necessary and you don't want to buy those for a couple of pages.

ReputationRep:
      Books are better but some are hard to find or just really expensive (like textbooks ><).

ReputationRep:
      This is weird, this is exactly what my French assistant and I are discussing at the moment in our little sessions :p: I for one am against them, let books be books! I think they would, if adopted by all, inevitably lead to the demise of public libraries and even bookshops... and personally I'd rather read a book than stare at a tiny bright screen with miniscule text and strain my eyes.

(Original post by Bella Occhi)
        and personally I'd rather read a book than stare at a tiny bright screen with miniscule text and strain my eyes.
        Nice to know you've based your decision on some research of what the Kindle actually is!

(Original post by ily_em)
          The trouble is you'd always have to pay for books as you can't really borrow an e-book from a library
          I don't know what the situation is with the Kindle, but you can borrow Adobe Digital Editions ebooks (which work with the Sony Reader) from some libraries now. You download the book and the ability to read it expires after a couple of weeks. A few public libraries in the UK are beginning to give the system a go.

ReputationRep:
          Not for me.

ReputationRep:
          I prefer real books, although I do have a couple of books in my iBooks app on my iPhone. I rarely read them though because it just isn't the same as a physical book for me.

ReputationRep:
          I think they have tried to solve a problem that wasn't there. No one had a problem with books, they have been fit for purpose for hundreds of years. Why do I need a kindle now?

ReputationRep:
          I like having the actual book in my hands and then being able to put it on my shelf when i've read it, would never by a Kindle or similar, can imagine they'd take all the fun out of it.

ReputationRep:
          I think it's a good idea. When I'm done reading a book, it just stays on the shelf forever taking up space.. I suppose I could donate it, but then I might want to read it again someday.

So, due to me liking minimalistic things, I say it's good.

ReputationRep:
          Horrible idea. The kindle even appears to be bigger than a proper book and I know I wouldn't fancy carrying £120 in plain view in a train. I'll stick to my book books, thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.