Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Itchy Feet - Want to go abroad as a visiting student Watch

    • Thread Starter


    I'm 3 months into my PhD and i am loving it. I love being a PhD student, and i love what i'm doing. Everything is going great guns... except for one little teeny tiny niggle... I am at the same uni i attended for undergrad and for my Masters and although i seriously love my city i am getting itchy feet. I want to go explore the world!

    I can't wait another 3 years for this... So, i'm thinking about trying to wangle a place somewhere as a visiting student for a couple of months... perhaps at a uni in Australia or NZ?

    Has anyone got any experience of doing this? How on earth would i go about setting this up? Should i just email potential supervisors? I would obviously discuss this with my supervisors here first.

    (I fully intend to apply for many conferences as an opportunity to travel a bit, I'm writing a paper based on my MSc project at the moment for a conference in Budapest, but I think i want more than that...)

    I was chatting to an academic in my field the other day about how rubbish the snow is, and how i need to go somewhere hot for a few months in 2011 or i might.. just... die. And he said "Well, i know Prof X at NZ uni pretty well, you should go over there for a year"... i'm almost certain he was joking, but the fact that he suggested it makes me think that this isn't entirely a pipe dream.

    So, anyone have any experiences of going abroad to study as part of their PhD? Tell me stories!

    Oh and i don't know if it makes a difference but i am funded by a Doctoral Training Account Studentship from the ESPRC - it is not linked to a specific research project with a specific supervisor.

    It sounds like you're interested in a visiting fellowship program.

    For research visits at an overseas uni, you need to contact the university you want to visit. Check your university website to see which universities it might have links or agreements with and for the appropriate contacts.

    You mention you're interested in visiting a university in Australia/NZ, have a look at schemes such as the Australian National University's Visiting Fellow Program

    The University of Sydney has a similar scheme but that's under review
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.