Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Media Sets Beauty Standards? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Had to get a response from you guys about this notion. I've noticed that A LOT of people these days seem to perpetuate the idea that the media decides what we find attractive and that what we find sexually attractive is the result of our culture etc. (i.e. The media plays a major factor in what we find sexually attractive)

Although I will concede to the fact that culture does play a role (a very minor role), I'd just like to highlight the complete lack of logic in saying:

"Men in that area that are very short are seen as ideal partners, therefore, they are the most sexually attractive to the females in that area"

or

"Women in that area that are very overweight and are seen as ideal partners, therefore, they are the most sexually attractive to the females in that area"

It is ridiculous to assert, that because they are seen as ideal partners, they are the most sexually attractive. Superstitious groups/religions (hehe) have certain traditions and ideas of what makes the perfect partner or what may bring luck/happiness, and I feel it is rather arrogant of us to break their want for each other down to mere sexual attraction.

Interesting info: Babies have been known to pay more attention to symmetrical faces (that also tend to be the most attractive). Where's the the next claim of major influence going to be from? The womb?

Another argument these people present stems from the "trends" of what's been attractive throughout history. They tend to pick out certain trends as proof of their argument while disregarding the most common and consistent characteristics regarding sexual attraction between the sexes i.e. Male height, Female shapeliness, etc (Quite a few others).

One last thing: (Generally) It's supply and demand, not supply and dupe (although marketing ploys are becoming increasingly deceptive.)

Thoughts?

P.S. Miskoozie for any typos.

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr.

The media can kiss my arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FattyInNeed)
    tl;dr.

The media can kiss my arse.
    If they deem it attractive, that won't be a problem. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Got moved out of HR. Oh well, hello GD.

ReputationRep:
    What the media says is attractive, is pretty much what people find attractive, the only problem is that the "ideal"'portrayed is never achievable by the most.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute rubbish.

people are attracted to what they are attracted to. Not because the media tells them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmartFool)
    What the media says is attractive, is pretty much what people find attractive, the only problem is that the "ideal"'portrayed is never achievable by the most.
    I agree that it isn't attainable (for the most part), but if it was, evolution would be unnecessary. The vast majority of people like what they see (in the way the opposite sex is "portrayed"), whether others of the opposite sex can attain it or not is another subject all together. Again, supply and demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetEuropa)
    Absolute rubbish.

people are attracted to what they are attracted to. Not because the media tells them.
    Not really. When the media show a person on tv and magazines all the time coff cheryl cole coff coff, then you get girls trying to look like her and more men then would normally be attracted to them being attracted to them.

ReputationRep:
    I think the media in our society does tell people what to think. It feeds on the fact that humans are naturally shallow and not deep thinking.

I think also that attractiveness is both objective and subjective. objective in that there is a general standard of attractiveness. Subjective in that people still have types and quirks. some men like big boobs or small boobs, some like different hair colours, or different races/ethnicities over others. Whether there is a truly universal standard I think remains to be seen. I don't think there is much evidence of this, at least as things stand now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Not really. When the media show a person on tv and magazines all the time coff cheryl cole coff coff, then you get girls trying to look like her and more men then would normally be attracted to them being attracted to them.
    Rubbish. as is said before people are attracted to who they are attracted to, regardless of the media.

And personally I think cheryl cole is very plain.

ReputationRep:
    Of course someone with more exposure will have more followers, if they're good looking, more men and women find out about them. That's why a lot of those FHM/Maxim lists look more and more like popularity contests. People pick from those celebrities who come to mind because they've been exposed to them more but that doesn't necessarily/significantly raise the attractiveness of their physical characteristics.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish. as is said before people are attracted to who they are attracted to, regardless of the media.

And personally I think cheryl cole is very plain.
    Look, average joe public is stupid and easy to manipulate. Whoever the media says is attractive, the public agree. Not everyone, just the general public. Cheryl cole is a good example. She isnt as attractive a the media makes out, i know that, you know that, yet there are still thousands of people addicted to her. The media controls a lot of things.

ReputationRep:
    Look, average joe public is stupid and easy to manipulate. Whoever the media says is attractive, the public agree. Not everyone, just the general public. Cheryl cole is a good example. She isnt as attractive a the media makes out, i know that, you know that, yet there are still thousands of people addicted to her. The media controls a lot of things.
    You cannot manipulate what people are attracted to.

ReputationRep:
    You cannot manipulate what people are attracted to.
    Yes you can.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can.
    No you cannot, you are simply wrong.

ReputationRep:
    No you cannot, you are simply wrong.
    I think you will find that you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I think you will find that you are wrong.
    "Is not"

"Is too"

"Is not"

"Is too"

"Is not!"

"Is TOO!"

"IS NOT!" ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperGuy)
    "Is not"

"Is too"

"Is not"

"Is too"

"Is not!"

"Is TOO!"

"IS NOT!" ....

I'm glad you agree.

ReputationRep:
    It's an individual thing really...but people are right that the media influences your average consumer. If you have/had some greater influence in your life than the media you will have a different view of beauty.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you agree.

With your failure to compute "and so on"? Definitely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.