Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Would you just get a degree in it and be able to get a job, or could you just do a short-ish course (maybe 1 year, or 2 years at the most) after doing a 3 year bachelors degree?

    I think I want to do either electrical and electronic engineering (but focusing of electrical) or else maths. I think if the fees go up too much it might be more worth while doing maths because of the broad range of modules to choose from (ie. if I did modules that I didn't like one year I wouldn't be put off continuing at university; I could just make sure to do more interesting modules the next year) whereas if I did electrical and electronic engineering and I hated it I would have less of a reason to go on with it.

    I was talking to the careers adviser last year and she said that you could do maths and then after that get a masters in something else, but I can't remember if she said how long it would take. And from the way other people talk about careers advisers she mightn't know what she's talking about.

    For now, I suppose I'm happy enough to have narrowed it down to two.

    There are lots of options. Certainly getting a job immediately after a degree is something that many people do - and as a maths graduate you would be highly sought after. You don't just need to get a "maths" related job either, there are loads of graduate training programmes which are unrelated to maths but will be interested in you. If you're interested in specific fields which require subject specific training then indeed you may be able to do a masters to help you get into that career.

    You do not have to do postgraduate study in the area you have your degree in, in some subjects it is necessary that you do, but in other areas you can swap between disciplines if they are similar.

    It sounds like you want to do engineering but are worried about it being too specialised. You can look into the course modules at different universities before you make a decision on where to go meaning as long as you've done your research properly, there shouldn't be any surprises about what modules are offered by a university. Have a look at the different universities you're interested in and see what they offer each year then decide if this is something you'd be interested in, depending on the university current students on TSR might be able to help you too.

    With either degree route you can either progress to further study or graduate schemes, because like has been said, most just require a degree. Or if they do specify degrees it will be more "engineering and physical science degree needed" rather than asking for a specific degree, in most cases. My boyfriend is an engineer, he has a physics degree.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.