Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    real dilema, i understand
    well if you have a strong academic history then its your choice, if your grades are average then be careful as the university you select will make a significant difference
    e.g. if say x chambers sees that you have had avergage grades, and you chose to go into birmingham then it shows that you had the capabilities to get into a good insitution, and hoepfully attained good grades.

on the other hand x chambers might see that you having had mostly A grades especially at alevel, went to a half decent uni and got top results for BPTC LPC and degree will take you on. ino some solicitors who go to unis that ank 40 - 45 but they have been straight A students and so have employers have seen that they have had the CHOICE to go to top unis but didnt for whatever reason.

Birmingham, from what ino has a good reputation at the Bar and even in Firms.

look at living costs, enviroment, teaching staff and opperunities. as these will affect you as a person and most importantly your grade. can you handle the busy life in london? where are you going to live? costs etc.

so yeh on balance if your a person who has not had the choice then its up to you, but if your like me a above average student then you may have to make a sacrafice to get into the better one.

in this case i would say birmingham, again ask around, go to open days again and again.
    birmingham will look good for post grads but then again queens may put a smile on the faces of KCL UCL for your post graduate studies.

i have seen more profiles of barristers from birmingham less for queens
    solicitors i have seen loads from queens and brimingham/.

forgive me for typing errors i am typing this really late, had to much coffee and so may clik on too many buttons or one too less lol
    hopefully i have helped,

let me know if theyres anything i can expand on

Peace out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    real dilema, i understand
    well if you have a strong academic history then its your choice, if your grades are average then be careful as the university you select will make a significant difference
    e.g. if say x chambers sees that you have had avergage grades, and you chose to go into birmingham then it shows that you had the capabilities to get into a good insitution, and hoepfully attained good grades.
    el oh el.

OP, I had the exact same problem in March this year; I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to QM or Birmingham. In the end, I decided on Birmingham because I believed that UoB is more prestigious than QM and also, because I was in London, I wouldn't be guaranteed accommodation and I would have had to be put on a waiting list.

There's really no point trying to differentiate between somewhere like UoB and QM in terms of prestige because neither will hold you back.

The myth that London unis get more attention because the're in London is just that; a myth. In my first few weeks - before November, there were numerous events from prestigious law firms, including Freshfields, Allen and Overy and Linklaters, as well as some local ones. This was all before the actual careers law fair too, so firms are making the effort to come up to UoB to differentiate themselves from the other firms, instead of just holding one stand at the law fair.

ReputationRep:
    The decided factor here you should be this: Queen Mary is horribly ugly and Birmingham is only a mild eyesore; your choice.

Other than that, there is not much to distinguish between them; Birmingham is more 'traditional' but QM is establishing itself as an excellent place to read Law.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.