Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to sabotage an ethernet cable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently sat downstairs trying to read a marvellous article about Steve Martin the Saturday Review, but my enjoyment of it is being ruined by my brother who's sat upstairs swearing profusely into his Xbox headset playing Black Ops. This annoys me greatly, and, as he uses an ethernet cable to get onto Xbox Live, I was wondering how I could sabotage this without him knowing so that I can read in peace. Does anyone know how I'd be able to do this, and make it look like a normal fault? :holmes:

Bare rep for anyone who gives me a good answer. Merci beaucoup in advance, sirs.

EDIT: I found out a way to disable my internet completely, which is a good enough temporary fix.

ReputationRep:
    pull it out, take it upstairs, and strangle him with it

ReputationRep:
    Put something in his port. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    curl it into tight circles then uncurl it. Do it quite a lot and I'm sure that internal wires will snap eventually (like in headphones)

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how but you could overload it with some sort of powersurge.. lol
    Pour water on it?
    pull the protective cover on the cable off, clip a few wires in half and put the cover back on.
    OR throw his Xbox out the window and tell him to go to sleep, it's midnight.

Do you have a pin? Get a pin, and prod the cable a couple of times in various places. I believe that'll cut [atleast one] of the individuals wires inside dropping his connection, or seriously degrading the quality. And given how little the pinhole needs to be, I doubt he'll ever find out.

ReputationRep:
      Hide it?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
      Do you have a pin? Get a pin, and prod the cable a couple of times in various places. I believe that'll cut [atleast one] of the individuals wires inside dropping his connection, or seriously degrading the quality. And given how little the pinhole needs to be, I doubt he'll ever find out.
      Ooh, fantastic. It's a pretty big cable, so I'll prick it in as many places as possible. Fingers crossed it'll work.

(Original post by Liam 09)
      Not sure how but you could overload it with some sort of powersurge.. lol
      Pour water on it?
      pull the protective cover on the cable off, clip a few wires in half and put the cover back on.
      OR throw his Xbox out the window and tell him to go to sleep, it's midnight.
      And this.

(Original post by Stuthulu)
      curl it into tight circles then uncurl it. Do it quite a lot and I'm sure that internal wires will snap eventually (like in headphones)
      And this.

I'm sure at least one will do the trick.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Addzter)
      I'm currently sat downstairs trying to read a marvellous article about Steve Martin the Saturday Review, but my enjoyment of it is being ruined by my brother who's sat upstairs swearing profusely into his Xbox headset playing Black Ops. This annoys me greatly, and, as he uses an ethernet cable to get onto Xbox Live, I was wondering how I could sabotage this without him knowing so that I can read in peace. Does anyone know how I'd be able to do this, and make it look like a normal fault? :holmes:

Bare rep for anyone who gives me a good answer. Merci beaucoup in advance, sirs.
      Just get a few tiny pices of blu tack or something and jam them inside so it does not plug in properly.

ReputationRep:
      just unplug the router.......

ReputationRep:
      I love how eager people are to sabotage randomers.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      Just get a few tiny pices of blu tack or something and jam them inside so it does not plug in properly.
      Ahh yes, yes, good idea.

ReputationRep:
      Smother it in peanut butter.

Just put a needle through it a few times; that'll do the trick. Leave the needle in so if it doesn't break any wires it should short it out.

ReputationRep:
        Do you not have administrative access to the router?
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        Put an IP ban on the router's settings page.

ReputationRep:
        Just shoot him.

ReputationRep:
        I say you just go up and give him a good kicking and tell him to shut his mouth! It would be so much easier plus next time he's playing it, he'll swear less because he'll get flashbacks of what happened him.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Profesh)
        Do you not have administrative access to the router?
        I do, but I was under the impression that you can only stop wireless connections, not wired ones.

(Original post by spikeymike)
        Put an IP ban on the router's settings page.
        How would I go about doing this? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
        Black Ops >>> marvellous article about Steve Martin on the Saturday Review.

Your poor brother

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.