Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most enigmatic/fascinating country Watch

ReputationRep:
    Which country are you guys most fascinated by and interested in? And that I mean its history, culture, language, politics whatever.

For me, it's always been Russia ever since we started studying the Russian Revolution back in Year 8 at school. It has a brilliantly rich and varied history and culture and has produced writers such as Leo Tolstoy to name one. I also find the period under Stalin intiguing as well as the fact that the West seems to have so many misconceptions about the country. For example:
    1) The collapse of the Soviet Union was celebrated in the West and Yeltsin was praised when in reality he's a corrupt fat **** whose policies led to economic breakdown, a collapse of law in order and a huge deterioration in the living conditions of ordinary Russians.
    2) The Western media's vilification of Putin who despite his faults picked up the pieces and enabled Russia to recover. His immense popularity is rarely quoted in the west and instead his authoritarian policies towards the media etc. are emphasised. But strangely, most Russians actually approve of the media restrictions he's implemented. So who are we to say what's good and what's not for their country.

Oh and btw did I mention I'am making excellent progress learning the deviously difficult Russian language- all while balancing academic and cricket related committments :pierre:

etc. etc. There are many more.

Anyways please join in.

ReputationRep:
    Germany, because the Germans kick ass at everything.

More recently, I have found the Middle East very interesting. It has a fascinating and complex history, and is greatly misunderstood by most people. I want to separate the fact from the fiction about it.

ReputationRep:
    China, South Korea and Japan

ReputationRep:
    Switzerland for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    Switzerland for me
    Yeah? How come? I've always found Switzerland and its history kinda dull but I guess I might just be misunderstanding it like people do Russia.

ReputationRep:
    Kazakhstan.

ReputationRep:
    I agree Russia is a completely fascinting country - an enigma within an enigma. OP I would read up on Peter the Great - an amazing man, and one that I suspect wouldn't have been terribly fond of the USSR or indeed, modern Russia.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Russia is as enigmatic as it is an undesirable place to live- so very much so.
    How is you Russian learning going? Do you not take private tuition or college tuition for it? It must be hard. I started learning the alphabet, but had not the time atm, so gave up after the fourth letter.

ReputationRep:
    Iceland.

ReputationRep:
    In Soviet Russia fascination does you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I agree Russia is a completely fascinting country - an enigma within an enigma. OP I would read up on Peter the Great - an amazing man, and one that I suspect wouldn't have been terribly fond of the USSR or indeed, modern Russia.
    I definitely will , at the moment, the crux of my fascination lies mainly in 20th and 21st century (basically from around the onset of Tsar Nicholas II's reign to now with the best period being Stalin's rule). I've also quite enjoyed reading about Kieven Rus.

I haven't read up on Tsarist Russia in a lot of detail as of yet but it looks an excellent topic and I'll certainly start soon.

ReputationRep:
    India and Jamacia

India because it seems to be a very spiritual, almost 'magical' land...

and ofcourse Jam Rock, coz lets face it, their the coolest country on the planet! and free smoke also! oh and Bob, ya can't forget about Bob!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    Yes, Russia is as enigmatic as it is an undesirable place to live- so very much so.
    How is you Russian learning going? Do you not take private tuition or college tuition for it? It must be hard. I started learning the alphabet, but had not the time atm, so gave up after the fourth letter.
    haha you're a wasteman :P. It's going well so far thank you. I've been learning it for around three weeks now and I know all of the alphabet, the different pronounication rules with the vowels and consonants and how to form a couple of basic sentence. I can also now impress people by writing my own and their name in Russian :ahee:

I don't have any private or college tuition and I don't think I want any either to be honest. I've got a coupla books (dictionary, The new Penguin Russian Course and the Big Silver Book of Russian verbs) and I hope to reach A Level standard in two years and continue from there.

I might take an A- Level exam in it after my degree. I can imagine a potential employer looking at my A* in Russian, knowing It's self-learnt and going "easyyyyyyyyy now!!".

ReputationRep:
    India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    I definitely will , at the moment, the crux of my fascination lies mainly in 20th and 21st century (basically from around the onset of Tsar Nicholas II's reign to now with the best period being Stalin's rule). I've also quite enjoyed reading about Kieven Rus.

I haven't read up on Tsarist Russia in a lot of detail as of yet but it looks an excellent topic and I'll certainly start soon.
    If you read about Peter the Great, read this book http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Great-Ro.../dp/0345336194 it's quite long but absolutely excellent

ReputationRep:
    China, japan, russia and france

ReputationRep:
    Cuba

ReputationRep:
    Spain.

And I don't mean the English and German ghettoes along the Costas, I mean the real Spain and it's hugely diverse culture and history. The Reconquista in particular is very interesting to me.

ReputationRep:
    Japan for me.

ReputationRep:
    I love Arabic and Mediterannean countries because they remind me of Jesus times (not religious but I like the vibe).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.