The Student Room Group

I'm frightened

As the title says, as of late I have had a number of things happening regarding my health. I have seen numerous medical professionals who keep loading me up with tablet after tablet (I am currently on my 2nd course of antibiotics, to be taken with a gastric tablet and painkillers, which is a pack of 84!).

I have been experiencing problems with my chest, my leg - everything I have done apparently is fine, but I personally don't believe it can seeing as im still feeling unwell, after 5weeks, yes 5weeks!!!!! I have seen 5 Drs, all giving me diff. diagnoses, and im at the end of my tether, im fed up and miserable.

Xmas is a few weeks away and I can see that it's going to be miserable as nobody knows what is wrong with me, nor can they give me any explanation. My parents are fed up of the constant whinning and crying because of the amount of pain I am in. The last resort is to now go private for a 2nd opinion. It's going to cost an absolute fortune, but if it gives my parents and I answers, then so be it! I have had 2 chest x rays, which apparently are ''clear'' but for someone who is a suspected DVT patient (although 2 ultrasound scans suggest I don't have it in my leg, which still hurts, and a chest which is not getting any better) a CT scan should be done to completely rule it out. It would put my mind at rest for it, that's for sure. That is my main worry and concern.

:frown::frown::frown:I don't know why I am writing this, but I just need someone/people to talk to, offload because I don't want to bore my friends with my problems and my parents are fed up of hearing me whine about pain here, there and everywhere. I also feel like going back to the Drs will result in more tablets and im fed up of taking painkillers. :frown:

I know people on TSR are NOT Drs, im just looking for people to talk to as it's starting to screw with my head, and i've become a complete wreck :frown:

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sounds like you're having a rough time. stay strong!
Reply 2
Sounds like Lupus.
Reply 3
Original post by Broderss
Sounds like Lupus.

This.
Reply 4
I'm sorry to hear it. I imagine if it was very serious it would have been recognised though so I wouldn't worry. It sounds like a private check is a good call if you are in a lot of pain. Until then try and forget it by watching tele and things. All the best :smile:
Reply 5
Sounds like Lupus.

You're the 2nd person to suggest that. :-/
Reply 6
Original post by Foxfight04
I'm sorry to hear it. I imagine if it was very serious it would have been recognised though so I wouldn't worry. It sounds like a private check is a good call if you are in a lot of pain. Until then try and forget it by watching tele and things. All the best :smile:

Well with DVT, it can turn into PE, which can potentially be fatal if not caught in time! I am fretting that perhaps the DVT has broken off from my leg and travelled to my lungs, as whatever I take/do isn't settling it! :frown: Drs are positive however and my mum that I do not have it. A Dr in A&E told me ''You look too well to have a PE'' - that IMO is the most stupidest thing to say because you can't tell! Yes I am young (which is what I am being told all the time) and I am a low risk patient of having it. But the amount of young people I have seen on forums, who were brain washed with the same crap, have DVTs/PEs. All I want is a CT scan and then I'll be happy, it'll put my mind @ great ease. And then I can get my leg sorted which is still giving me trouble after 6weeks, yes 6weeks!! :frown:

I was searching last night for private consultants, and places like Nuffield req. you to have a referral from your GP, is that correct??? . . .:confused: I was hoping to just ring, book an appointment, see a consultant and get the process done quite swiftly. :dontknow:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Well with DVT, it can turn into PE, which can potentially be fatal if not caught in time! I am fretting that perhaps the DVT has broken off from my leg and travelled to my lungs, as whatever I take/do isn't settling it! :frown: Drs are positive however and my mum that I do not have it. A Dr in A&E told me ''You look too well to have a PE'' - that IMO is the most stupidest thing to say because you can't tell! Yes I am young (which is what I am being told all the time) and I am a low risk patient of having it. But the amount of young people I have seen on forums, who were brain washed with the same crap, have DVTs/PEs. All I want is a CT scan and then I'll be happy, it'll put my mind @ great ease. And then I can get my leg sorted which is still giving me trouble after 6weeks, yes 6weeks!! :frown:

I was searching last night for private consultants, and places like Nuffield req. you to have a referral from your GP, is that correct??? . . .:confused: I was hoping to just ring, book an appointment, see a consultant and get the process done quite swiftly. :dontknow:

If the doctors have ruled out DVT/PE then chances are you don't have it. Its not unheard of for DVT to be missed, however. Many hospitals seem to miss the symptoms. Ask them for an ultrasound of your leg, if you haven't already had one.

Most private hospitals will require a GP referral, yes. You can ring them up directly, though, if you are funding it privately. Some private hospitals have emergency departments, but even though it has been causing you problems for a while it doesn't really sound like an emergency, unfortunately.

I know its frustrating when you can't get a diagnosis. Hang in there and keep bugging the right people.
Sounds like Lupus.

It's never Lupus.
Reply 9
Original post by Vohamanah
If the doctors have ruled out DVT/PE then chances are you don't have it. Its not unheard of for DVT to be missed, however. Many hospitals seem to miss the symptoms. Ask them for an ultrasound of your leg, if you haven't already had one.

Most private hospitals will require a GP referral, yes. You can ring them up directly, though, if you are funding it privately. Some private hospitals have emergency departments, but even though it has been causing you problems for a while it doesn't really sound like an emergency, unfortunately.

I know its frustrating when you can't get a diagnosis. Hang in there and keep bugging the right people.

I have had 2 Doppler's on my leg, and the Radiographer said that's a good sign I don't have it. But from reading people's experiences on forums (I prob. shouldn't have turned to the internet, but I didn't get much information from Drs or those on the DVT ward about the whole thing), many people had the doppler, which like mine was fine. But later found themselves having other symptoms, which after having a CT scan showed a PE and a big DVT in their leg. That is what frightens me - the fact that everyone is saying ''I am fine'' but really the one scan that can rule it out, well it'll give more information than a chest x ray, is the CT scan.

Ahh so I can either be referred by a NHS GP (which I pay for? or do I get it on the NHS because I was referred?) or I can go independently?:dontknow:. Tad confused.

My mum is getting annoyed with me because I keep coming up with suggestions on what I think it might be. But when you've seen x amount of medical professionals and nobody has a flippin clue what is wrong with you, apart from throwing more tablets @ you, I honestly can't help it :frown: :frown: :frown:. I was @ work yesterday on the brink of tears, manager asked what was wrong, I explained and she said ''cheer up and put a smile on'', which I am finding very hard to @ the moment.

I will try and plod on though, so thanks for the reply.
Reply 10
Original post by SmallTownGirl
It's never Lupus.

How do you know?
Reply 11
How do you know?

Sorry, i think they're quoting 'House' rather than giving proper replies.
I have had 2 Doppler's on my leg, and the Radiographer said that's a good sign I don't have it. But from reading people's experiences on forums (I prob. shouldn't have turned to the internet, but I didn't get much information from Drs or those on the DVT ward about the whole thing), many people had the doppler, which like mine was fine. But later found themselves having other symptoms, which after having a CT scan showed a PE and a big DVT in their leg. That is what frightens me - the fact that everyone is saying ''I am fine'' but really the one scan that can rule it out, well it'll give more information than a chest x ray, is the CT scan.

Ahh so I can either be referred by a NHS GP (which I pay for? or do I get it on the NHS because I was referred?) or I can go independently?:dontknow:. Tad confused.

My mum is getting annoyed with me because I keep coming up with suggestions on what I think it might be. But when you've seen x amount of medical professionals and nobody has a flippin clue what is wrong with you, apart from throwing more tablets @ you, I honestly can't help it :frown: :frown: :frown:. I was @ work yesterday on the brink of tears, manager asked what was wrong, I explained and she said ''cheer up and put a smile on'', which I am finding very hard to @ the moment.

I will try and plod on though, so thanks for the reply.

K well if the dopplers were clear it really does sound like its not DVT, but I'm no medical professional. Don't worry about scare mongerers on the internet. Honestly. People never go on the internet to post about how their DVT was diagnosed and treated immediately. They like a good whinge.

You would usually be referred by your GP to a private hospital in order to have the treatment privately. It wouldn't be on the NHS. You can ask your GP to refer you for a second opinion on the NHS, though. To a different hospital, perhaps?
Reply 13
Original post by SmallTownGirl
It's never Lupus.

Original post by humbugsftw
This.

Sounds like Lupus.

Original post by AshleyT
Sorry, i think they're quoting 'House' rather than giving proper replies.

:frown: :frown: I really would appreciate if MATURE people replied to my thread. When someone hasn't been well for x amount of weeks, replying with stupid comments is not what I asked for. :frown: :frown:

Idiots
How do you know?

Sorry. House fan.
Reply 15
A CTPA gives you a significant dose of radiation, which increases your risk of getting various cancers later in life. In someone like you, where the chances of you having a PE are minimal (you have had two negative Dopplers, and I don't know the rest of the clinical details, but if they thought you might be high risk you'd have been scanned by now), the risks of the scan outweigh the benefits and I'd be very surprised if you managed to find an NHS hospital willing to scan you. Of course you'll find someone willing to take your money if you try hard enough.

I don't know what is wrong with you, if anything at all, but please try to relax and stop scaring yourself by looking up horror stories on the internet.
We're all frightened darling, it's the human condition.
Reply 17
Original post by Vohamanah
K well if the dopplers were clear it really does sound like its not DVT, but I'm no medical professional. Don't worry about scare mongerers on the internet. Honestly. People never go on the internet to post about how their DVT was diagnosed and treated immediately. They like a good whinge.

You would usually be referred by your GP to a private hospital in order to have the treatment privately. It wouldn't be on the NHS. You can ask your GP to refer you for a second opinion on the NHS, though. To a different hospital, perhaps?

Post 14 wasn't directed at you, by the way, I appreciate your response, so thank you.

Mum is thinking perhaps the problem with my leg is linked to my back? As I have had a lot of trouble with my back in the past. But my back doesn't hurt at the moment :dontknow:. As for the chest, I have no idea, although Drs think it might be a viral infection, hence the 2nd dose of antibiotics, and the amount of crap I am coughing up - (greeny, yellowy phelgm, apologies for the description, which on 2 occasions has had a little red streak of blood in it. That I had before, which resulted in me going to A&E, Dr there basically ignored it, but told me to go back if it's red, pink, frothy.

Ooo ok thanks. I thought the whole process was just that you go to the private hospital, and they get the ball rolling. But it's not quite that simple.
Reply 18
Original post by karateworm
We're all frightened darling, it's the human condition.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Post 14 wasn't directed at you, by the way, I appreciate your response, so thank you.

Mum is thinking perhaps the problem with my leg is linked to my back? As I have had a lot of trouble with my back in the past. But my back doesn't hurt at the moment :dontknow:. As for the chest, I have no idea, although Drs think it might be a viral infection, hence the 2nd dose of antibiotics, and the amount of crap I am coughing up - (greeny, yellowy phelgm, apologies for the description, which on 2 occasions has had a little red streak of blood in it. That I had before, which resulted in me going to A&E, Dr there basically ignored it, but told me to go back if it's red, pink, frothy.

Ooo ok thanks. I thought the whole process was just that you go to the private hospital, and they get the ball rolling. But it's not quite that simple.

I bow to Helenia in medical matters, I'm fairly sure she has a much better idea of what she is talking about than I do =)

I work in clinical negligence so I hear all the horror stories, believe me. I can appreciate how frustrating it is when you know something is wrong but you just can't get an answer. But I have a lot of faith in the medical profession. Like I say, if you continue to be concerned just keep pressing the right people. Feel free to PM if you like. I hope you get your answer in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending